Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: rendering acne...

Junior Member Newbie

rendering acne...

My current rendering engine is using the following algorithm:
    *First, render the scene from the point of view of the camera, with a pure black shader and writing to the depth buffer
    *Then, for each light:
    - render the shadow buffer to a frame buffer linked only of a depth texture
    - for each layer of material
    + render the scene, with blend set, no write to the depth buffer, and depth comparison set to less or equal

But I got rendering a.c.n.e (sorry, seems the word is refused in post) !!

So, my main question is:
    Is it possible to render to a fame Buffer in order to fill a texture while rendering in the default/static back buffer (not at the same time, but rendering something in the back buffer, then switch the rendering buffer, render a shadow map or a reflection map, and back to render the scene to the back buffer)?
    Or do I need to use a render buffer for the main rendering too (which is not that bad, I will be able to switch to a linear workflow)?

Thanks for any helps,

Craouette

Member Regular Contributor
    There's an easy-to-follow shadow mapping tutorial here: http://www.opengl-tutorial.org/inter...hadow-mapping/ that discusses shadow acne.

Junior Member Newbie
    No, the problem I have is not shadow a.c.n.e... this one, I know what to do.
    It is rendering a.c.n.e: I render the Z buffer first in order to avoid to use costly shader on pixel that will be written over by near object, then disable the write to z buffer.
    Then, I render my scene again many times, with the same projection and modelview matrices, but disabling the write to z-buffer and setting the depth func to GL_LEQUAL.
    The many times account for the lights... I render the scene one time for each light. So that i can create the shadow map before.

The a.c.n.e I have is not in the shadow but in the rendering itself, like if the equal test to the z buffer is failing from time to time... but may be I am wrong! will check further!
    But my question is still: is possible to render at same time to more than one rendering buffer (so to render buffer 1, then switch to render buffer 2, go back to render buffer 1 using the result of render buffer 2 without interferences)?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by craouette View Post
    Then, I render my scene again many times, with the same projection and modelview matrices, but disabling the write to z-buffer and setting the depth func to GL_LEQUAL.
    Use GL_EQUAL.

But my question is still: is possible to render at same time to more than one rendering buffer (so to render buffer 1, then switch to render buffer 2, go back to render buffer 1 using the result of render buffer 2 without interferences)?
    Yes, you can do this kind of ping-pong rendering if you want. You can also render/write to multiple rendering buffers simultanously if/when needed.

Member Regular Contributor
    Maybe you need to use the "invariant" qualifier to ensure your passes produce the same output?

Junior Member Newbie
    ok, so the problem is in my code... I will track it down. Thanks a lot for your help.
    I also will look for the invariant qualifier, I never heard of it!!

Newbie Newbie
    77777777777uuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppppppppppppppppppp pppppppppp

Junior Member Newbie
    mapo125: ????

I found the problem... first shader, I used gl_Position = ftransform(); second shader, I used:
    vec4 vVertex = gl_ModelViewMatrix * gl_Vertex;
    gl_Position = gl_ProjectionMatrix * vVertex;
    Last edited by craouette; 11-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.