Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to rotate entire scene based on mouse events?

Intern Contributor

Question How to rotate entire scene based on mouse events?

Hello,

I need to perform rotation of the canvas or scene based on mouse click and drag. I am still not sure whether the method I've used for computing the rotation angle based on mouse events is correct or not. I have the following projection settings

Code :
     glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
     glLoadIdentity();
     glRotatef(atan2f(currentPoint.y-previousPoint.y, currentPoint.x-previousPoint.x), 0.0, 0.0, -1.0);
     glOrtho(centerp.x-screenwidth/2, centerp.x+screenwidth/2, 
             centerp.y-screenheight/2, centerp.y+screenheight/2, 1.0, 10000.0);

With the above projection, I am able to produce rotation along z-axis. i.e. I can rotate the canvas clockwise, or anti-clockwise direction in 2D. The same didn't work for 3D. I tried using

Code :
    glRotatef(atan2f(currentPoint.y-previousPoint.y, currentPoint.x-previousPoint.x), 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);

With this setting, I get rotation very fast and only in one direction (i.e. diagonally). It doesn't depend on the mouse positions. Click anywhere and drag, it rotates diagonally from top-right to bottom-left. What am I missing? How can I rotate entire scene (canvas) in 3D?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks & Regards
    Rakesh Patil

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    Generally, what you've done is wrong. I have no idea how it can work. glRotate in your case does nothing since next command recreates projection matrix. glRotaet should affect model-view matrix.

Intern Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar View Post
    Generally, what you've done is wrong. I have no idea how it can work. glRotate in your case does nothing since next command recreates projection matrix. glRotaet should affect model-view matrix.
    I also don't know. Saw it in one example and tried to attempt it. Well, if this is wrong, then can you point me to some tutorials and/or examples for mouse event based 3D rotation?

Thanks & Regards

Rakesh Patil

For the beginning, take a look at chapter 3 of the old Red Book. That would help you to understand how transformations work.
    Then try to rotate your scene around two axes according to deltaX and deltaY mouse movements.

Since you want to rotate a whole scene (view transformation), intended rotations should be performed before other model transformations.
    Try something like this:
    Code :
    // On mouse move
    angleY = (currentPoint.x-previousPoint.x) * factX;
    angleX = (currentPoint.f-previousPoint.y) * factY;

// Draw scene function
    glLoadIdentity();
    glTranslatef(0.0, 0.0, translateZ);
    	glRotatef(m_angleX, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    	glRotatef(m_angleY, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0);

Intern Contributor
    I see. What you explained is rotating the model isn't it? I think the previous code does give the rotation, not by rotating the model, but by rotating the camera in opposite direction. That's why I was getting rotation with my previous code. I remember reading somewhere, panning can be done either by moving the model along the mouse move direction, or by moving the camera in opposite direction. Is that correct?

Well, I just tried your solution, but with that I am not getting desired output. I googled on this topic and came across some articles in which they suggested using Quaternions for rotation. I couldn't find any suitable tutorials for this. Any suggestions?

Thanks & Regards
    Rakesh Patil

Member Regular Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by rakeshthp View Post
    panning can be done either by moving the model along the mouse move direction, or by moving the camera in opposite direction. Is that correct?
    OpenGL doesn't have a "camera".

I see. What you explained is rotating the model isn't it? I think the previous code does give the rotation, not by rotating the model, but by rotating the camera in opposite direction. That's why I was getting rotation with my previous code. I remember reading somewhere, panning can be done either by moving the model along the mouse move direction, or by moving the camera in opposite direction. Is that correct?
    Rotating the scene or rotating the camera are the same thing. That's why I have point you to read a chapter about transformations.
    You have to get basic concepts before going on further.

Well, I just tried your solution, but with that I am not getting desired output.
    Great! If you don't explain what you want how you could expect anyone can help you.
    I'm sorry for this, but your post looks like this to me: "I'm not familiar with the basic concepts. I have a solution which output is not suitable for my purpose. Your solution is also not acceptable, but I won't tell you what's wrong. I'm just not getting desired output. I heard that there is something called Quaternions that might help, but I didn't find any suitable tutorial."

I googled on this topic and came across some articles in which they suggested using Quaternions for rotation. I couldn't find any suitable tutorials for this. Any suggestions?
    Quaternions are better for the rotation definition since they eliminate gimbal lock. There are a lot of code samples on the net. I think even glm has quaternion implementation (I'm not sure because I'm not using it, but according to some questions on the forum it does support). Just search for them. But be aware that they are further abstraction of complex numbers and they are hard to be comprehend. Maybe you can just use something found on the net...

Junior Member Newbie
    Hi, I had an implementation previously that also requires rotating a camera around the scene. Just a suggestion here, in my implementation I used the function gluLookAt(..) to setup my camera. This function has an eye position (position of 'camera'), a look-at position describing where the camera is pointing, and the camera up vector.

Some things are assumed in my implementation: the camera always looks at the origin, and no panning or camera distance alterations is required. But these can be incorporated with mathematical transformations, if required.

So, rotating the camera simply means changing the eye position (eye_x, eye_y, eye_z) with a rotation around the center. To do this, we can multiply a 3x3 rotation matrix (with angle parameters defined by mouse movements) with the initial eye position to obtain the transformed (rotated) camera position.

Hope this helps

Intern Contributor
    I'm sorry. I might have not conveyed my requirements properly. How to compute the angle of rotation from the mouse events?

@wmchiew: Are you using Orthographics projection?

Thanks

Junior Member Newbie
    What are you trying to rotate, specifically? In opengl, the simplest scene transformations are described by 3 matrices: model, view and projection. In general, model matrix deals with your objects, view matrix deals with the camera, and projection matrix defines your projection type.

So, the projection type (orthographic glOrtho(..) or perspective gluPerspective(..)) is independent of the camera setup (view matrix gluLookAt(..)).

To answer your first question: How to compute angle of rotation from mouse events?
    It is just as Aleksandar has given in post #4. Your rotation angle will be dependent on the offset of your mouse pointer position (currentPoint - previousPoint). In the code the x-offset rotates around the x-axis and y-offset around the y-axis. You just need to define how much your rotation angle is with respect to the offset. In the given code this is by adjusting the value of factX and factY.