Max usable Texture Image Units in Fragment Shader

Hi,

i want to active and bind as much textures as possible and then just switch the sampler that uses a different unit in fragment-shader.

I have 2 Machines:

1. Windows 7 with Nvidia graphic card
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 32
    GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 192
    On this machine I can (only) use 32 Texture Image Units.

2. Windows 7 and Arch-Linux with ATI graphic card
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 16
    GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 32
    On this machine I can use 32 Texture Image Units too…

Why it’s the same? On both machines I can have max 32 Units and this ist ok but I want to know how to determine that.

[QUOTE=KrisZero;1254796]i want to active and bind as much textures as possible and then just switch the sampler that uses a different unit in fragment-shader.

I have 2 Machines:

1. Windows 7 with Nvidia graphic card
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 32
    GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 192
    On this machine I can (only) use 32 Texture Image Units.

2. Windows 7 and Arch-Linux with ATI graphic card
    GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 16
    GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS: 32
    On this machine I can use 32 Texture Image Units too…

Why it’s the same? On both machines I can have max 32 Units and this ist ok but I want to know how to determine that.[/QUOTE]
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS is the maximum number of texture units which can be used from the fragment shader. There are similar variables for the other shaders, e.g. GL_MAX_VERTEX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS for the vertex shader. GL_MAX_COMBINED_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS is the maximum number of texture units in total, and represents the (exclusive) upper bound for the argument to glActiveTexture().

yeah, but if GL_MAX_TEXTURE_IMAGE_UNITS is the maximum number of texture units which can be used from the fragment shader
and it shows 16, why can I use 32 in fragment shader?