Feedback window

With the release of OpenCL 2.0 there is a feedback window of 6 months.

It would be a good idea to have a similar thing for OpenGL. (For every API, with variable feedback windows depending on needs. )
Having a 6 month feedback window after release of new OpenGL draft specification.
Where there can be public review in how to improve things.

This could improve specifications a lot with more eyeballs bugs easier found and stuff.
Also the working group can more easily get information about the new features use and what is wanted and what is not.

How does this “feedback window” work in OpenCL? What are the channels through which meaningful feedback is delivered? Is it a two-way dialog, where Khronos actually responds to points, or do you just make comments and hope that they take them under advisement?

I would suggest, at minimum, Khronos reads the forum for what features developers and other stake holders would like to see.

A two-way dialog would be ideal to have feedback and refine new features since the khronos members can actually ask things. Some sort of mailing list, seperate forum or something else that allows public feedback.

There will of course need to be a way to weed out ridiculous or nonsensical requests, uncovering who is capable of good understanding of hardware involved and software api’s and who is not.
When the working group gets stuck on an issue, asking for feedback this way could be more productive and deliver better api specifications.

I do hope they take my comments under advisement. This is what this forum is about (I hope it is).

I would suggest, at minimum, Khronos reads the forum for what features developers and other stake holders would like to see.

You mean “developers and other stake holders” like this guy? Perhaps now you understand a bit about why the ARB is perhaps hesitant to take such sage advice.

The problem with any two-way dialog is that one side can be a blithering moron, yet you’re now obligated to talk to them, wasting your precious time. Without some form of filtering mechanism, it just devolves into pointless noise. And if you provide a filter, you open yourself up to accusations of censorship and the like.

That’s why I asked how OpenCL goes about getting feedback for their stuff.

I would be hesitant of a public two-way dialogue. A one-way dialogue would enable whoever had an open ear to make a cross collecting the statistics of what is wanted by developers and maybe make a decision based upon that - assumed the fact that there are developers who are unwilling to get that much involved into OpenGL-development to pay the few thousand bucks for the cheapest Khronos-Membership.