Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Difference between core in <version>, core since <version>?

Junior Member Newbie

Difference between core in <version>, core since <version>?

I'm looking at the page:
    http://www.opengl.org/wiki/GLAPI/glD...edBaseInstance

and it states:
    Core in version 4.3
    Core since version 4.2

Whats the difference between "Core in" and "Core since" ?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    "Core since" means the version it was added to OpenGL. So the function was not in core before 4.2

"Core in" means the highest version where the function remains in OpenGL. So it is still around in 4.3. If some removed functions were documented on the Wiki, their "Core in" version would be 3.0.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Hmm, it's a bikeshed, but how about calling it "Core until version" then? Oh, I see the problem: new spec comes out and the labels would all be wrong. How about putting "latest" then, that would avoid the churn when a new spec version is released that does not remove anything?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Oh, I see the problem: new spec comes out and the labels would all be wrong.
    That's not really the problem; every reference on the site to the current version is a template called, oddly enough, "{{current version}}". I update that to the next version and everything everywhere magically updates.

The problem with "core until version" is that "until" suggests that later versions don't have it. After all, unless you know what the OpenGL versions are, you don't know that there is no GL 4.4 yet. Or 5.0. So its important to see a version number and compare it to what you're working with.