Straightforward way to learn OpenGL?

Hello, I’ve been trying to find a way to learn OpenGL but all the sources I have used either use the deprecated OpenGL pipeline or I haven’t been able to setup OpenGL with their instructions. Does anyone know of a good source for learning OpenGL including on how to setup OpenGL?
My only experience with a third-party library is SDL which I was able to set up easily with the help of lazyfoo tutorials. It was an easy process download the needed libraries and include the paths for the include file and lib file when compiling, then repeat for any extension libraries. I was able to do this easily with MinGW under windows. Any attempt I have done to try to compile using the same process for OpenGL has led to a inability to find freeglut.lib, glew32.lib, freeglut_static_vs2010.lib, or to undefined functions.
So what resources have you all used to be able to learn OpenGL on windows?

hi, im learning opengl right now by reading the book “opengl programming guide”. its a good way to learn opengl although i find it kind of hard to follow. but if you read and reread and take notes and suplement the stuff you dont understand with the internet and this forum then im pretty sure youl be good. you can download the source code for the book from opengl-redbook.com, and sometime relatively soon there going to actually open the site with even more information(the site is closed right now). about installing opengl i have no idea i use linux and just download the needed packages from the pakage manager. good luck.
ps.
i really think buying a book is the best way to go.

Hi,

This one is really good:
http://www.arcsynthesis.org/gltut/

[QUOTE=sandbucket;1251536]hi, im learning opengl right now by reading the book “opengl programming guide”. its a good way to learn opengl although i find it kind of hard to follow. but if you read and reread and take notes and suplement the stuff you dont understand with the internet and this forum then im pretty sure youl be good. you can download the source code for the book from opengl-redbook.com, and sometime relatively soon there going to actually open the site with even more information(the site is closed right now). about installing opengl i have no idea i use linux and just download the needed packages from the pakage manager. good luck.
ps.
i really think buying a book is the best way to go.[/QUOTE]

sorry i forgot linux uses mesa