Glsdk missing include files after Premake build

I’m following gltut by McKesson; after building the glsdk with premake, this is my output

1>------ Build started: Project: GLSDKPremake, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  glxl_ext.c
1>glload\source\glxl_ext.c(11): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'X11/Xlib.h': No such file or directory
1>  gll_c.c
1>glload\source\gll_c.c(10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'glload/gll.h': No such file or directory
1>  freeglut_window.c
1>freeglut\src\freeglut_window.c(29): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/freeglut.h': No such file or directory
1>  freeglut_videoresize.c
1>freeglut\src\freeglut_videoresize.c(28): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'GL/freeglut.h': No such file or directory
1>  freeglut_teapot.c

(truncated, it continues on…)

Truthfully I can’t seem in locate X11 folder within the include folder, but all the others seem to be where they should.
My only guess is that I’m using VS2012 and premake only includes vs2010 as a build option.
Any advice is appreciated.

GLSDKPremake

Where did you get this project from? No project produced by Premake4 should have had this name. Did you create this project yourself? If so, how did you do that? It’s not clear if you’re trying to build the libraries or use the libraries in your own code.

I created a new project in VS using the existing code created by premake. The name was the project name I gave it - in that case, it is attempting to build the glsdk library. Similarly, I can open the .vcxproj generated by building per tutorial or building all tutorials together with premake, and seem to run into the same issue, which I’m guessing is I cant seem to get it to point to the glsdk. Ultimately I am trying to get the tutorials running.

Example code upon trying to build all tutorials:

1>------ Build started: Project: GLTutBuild, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>  Projected Light.cpp
1>tut 17 spotlight on textures\Projected Light.cpp(10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'glload/gl_3_3.h': No such file or directory
1>  Double Projection.cpp
1>tut 17 spotlight on textures\Double Projection.cpp(10): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'glload/gl_3_3.h': No such file or directory
1>  Cube Point Light.cpp

I feel like copying the glsdk folder into each tutorial folder might fix the issue, but something tells me this isn’t the most appropriate solution.
It may be there is some basic setting up of dependencies that I don’t understand. Put simply, am I generating project files with premake (tried generating project files of glsdk, per tutorial, and all tutorials combined), loading them up in visual studio, attempting to build, and these are the errors I’m running into.

I created a new project in VS using the existing code created by premake.

There’s an old joke: a guy walks into the doctors office and says, “It hurts when I raise my arm like this.” The doctor says, “So don’t raise your arm like that.”

If you want to build the tutorials, you need to follow the instructions strictly. It doesn’t tell you to create your own VS projects, so don’t do that. Follow the directions, and the build should work fine.

Run premake4 vs2010 in the glsdk directory. That will generate a Visual Studio solution. Double-click on it and build it for debug and release.

Run premake4 vs2010 in the root tutorials directory. That will generate a Visual Studio solution. Double-click on it and build it for debug and release.

There, you’re done.

Thanks for the help. I wasn’t paying enough attention to what Premake was generating. I opened these projects and the errors were resolved; now it could not find freeglutD.lib, glutilD.lib, glloadD.lib, etc. But I opened these projects and built them which created these files. Maybe this was because I allowed the projects to update to the VS2012 compiler… maybe not. Regardless, it is working now.