Mapping from rednerbuffer size to texture size for glow effect

Hi,

I am trying to get a texture for glow effects working, and am struggling with window sizes that are not the same size as the texture when I am drawing into the texture.

I have working code that goes (pseudocode);

createRenderBuffer(); // create colour & depth buffers, bind to GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER. Note: scene is not a power of 2 so can’t be draw directly to texture
drawSceneGlowElements();
createTexture(); // create a texture renderbuffer, bind to GL_DRAW_FRAMEBUFFER
// set the previous renderbuffer to GL_READ_FRAMEBUFFER
glBlitFramebuffer (); // fill the texture with a downsampled image of the scene

… carry on.

This all works fine … but seems to involve a redundant copy - I create the first renderBuffer & draw to it only to copy data back out of it.

My question: is this in fact the right way to create a texture with an image from my scene, or should I set up transforms so that I draw the scene straight into the texture?

If so … I have tried lots of ways to do this (as it seems to be a straight linear transform from my scene to the texture coordinate system), but without anything that works. Should I persevere ? Any good references as to where in the matrix sequence I should put a transform so that the scene fits the texture correctly? Or is it in fact OK to use the extra buffer per pseudocode above?

Thanks for any help.

Answering my won question in case anyone else comes across it.

The answer is to getting the scene rendered into a texture in one go is:

• set glViewPort (0, 0, textureWidth, textureHeight);
  • render scene normally
  • set the viewport back

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/253651-framebuffer-glow-effect-in-opengl/