OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nvidia driver 310.xx or newer

Junior Member Regular Contributor

nvidia driver 310.xx or newer

Hi,
    I have been working on an application based on OpenGL 2.1.
    For several years, no Nvidia driver has given me any trouble, I periodically downloaded and installed the new version with no issues whatsoever. Since version 310.90 or newer, my application can initialize a rendering context, FBO, etc., but then it crashes at various opengl function calls (if I comment out one 'culprit', then there will be another, etc.).
    Is there any change in these new drivers, is maybe Open GL 2.1 support dropped? If this is not the right place to ask help with this problem, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.
    p.s. I almost forgot that I use Win7 64-bit and my range of cards include the GTX2xx, 5xx and 6xx line, and it doesn't matter which of these I try, they all crash with the new driver but work with any driver before 310.90

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar
    Our users also experienced hangs and crashes when using 310+ on Windows 8, which we reported to Nvidia. They resolved the issue in the Quadro 311.15 driver, but the GEforce driver is still not patched, though a fix may be forthcoming in 319. In the meantime, we've advised Win8 users to use 306 or below.

Quote Originally Posted by malexander View Post
    Our users also experienced hangs and crashes when using 310+ on Windows 8, which we reported to Nvidia. They resolved the issue in the Quadro 311.15 driver, but the GEforce driver is still not patched, though a fix may be forthcoming in 319. In the meantime, we've advised Win8 users to use 306 or below.
    Did this happen only on Windows 8 but on Windows 7 and was it the 64-bit version? Thanks.

Only happened on Windows 8 64b. Linux 64b and Windows 7 64b and Vista 64b were fine. We no longer support 32b OSes, so I'm not sure if those are affected or not.

Only happened on Windows 8 64b. Linux 64b and Windows 7 64b and Vista 64b were fine. We no longer support 32b OSes, so I'm not sure if those are affected or not.
    I support 32-bit any more either, but my OS is Win7. Can you tell me which version of OpenGL yours is based on and where can I report something like this to Nvidia?
    Thanks.

We're registered as a partner with Nvidia (https://partners.nvidia.com/Login.aspx), but there's also the developer zone which I believe has a forum (https://developer.nvidia.com/categor...cs-development). Detailed, reproducible bug reports are the key to getting driver issues resolved.

Our app seemed to hang after creating/switching GL contexts a bunch of times. Eventually it'd be unable to make a context current. It didn't seem like the actual OpenGL code mattered, perhaps it was a WGL issue.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    Our app seemed to hang after creating/switching GL contexts a bunch of times. Eventually it'd be unable to make a context current. It didn't seem like the actual OpenGL code mattered, perhaps it was a WGL issue.
    May I ask why do you have to switch contexts?
    Many years ago I used similar concept, making context current in each function call. But it is far less efficient (although much simpler) than having a dedicated drawing thread for each context.

I still think the problem with these new drivers has something to do with the version of OpenGL. I still use 2.1, GLSL 1.2 based shaders and a single context used by a single thread. And the application (Win7 64-bit) crashes not once in a while or often, but every single time after I create a context, setup fbo and other stuff and rendering starts (even if there are no draw calls yet).
    (BTW I registered on the nvidia developer's forum but I am yet to receive the confirmation email with the password.)

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    Could you just, for the sake of finding the source of the problem, switch to GL 4.1 and use debug_output to surgically precise find what exactly causes the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar View Post
    Could you just, for the sake of finding the source of the problem, switch to GL 4.1 and use debug_output to surgically precise find what exactly causes the problem?
    I am not sure if I can do that. I use a few features like display lists that are deprecated and (I assume) have already been removed. I also use a few libraries that might be incompatible with 4.x now (glew, freeglut, glu). I tried to pinpoint where exactly does the application crash, but if I comment out that part, then it will be another.