Volume Rendering of CT-Images

Hey, I am currently working on a Visual C++ application that should take as input a number of CT-image slices and construct the 3D-volume representing the medical volume that was scanned.

I have done some researching, only to find out the theoretical aspects of volume rendering. But in terms of code, are there any tutorials or example code to check out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

[QUOTE=A elalaily;1248698]Hey, I am currently working on a Visual C++ application that should take as input a number of CT-image slices and construct the 3D-volume representing the medical volume that was scanned.

I have done some researching, only to find out the theoretical aspects of volume rendering. But in terms of code, are there any tutorials or example code to check out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

VTK has plenty examples how to use it. If you would like to write your own volume ray caster then “theoretical aspects of volume rendering” is totally sufficient to do so; a simple volume ray caster implementation is just a straightforward mapping of rendering integral - literally, take the math and program it. The complexity is “Piling up” once you would like to speed up the computation; keep in mind to make it better then available open source implementations will take x100 orders of magnitude more efforts then you probably may anticipate.

Check out “Real-Time Volume Graphics” by Engel et. al.

It focuses on a GPU implementation of direct volume rendering methods. A lot of legacy GL though on the application level though as it’s from 2005.

Under the following link you can find a very simple volume ray casting demo. Maybe this will give you ideas, but I can only agree with the other replies… get the Engel et al. book.