Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glx or egl

glx or egl

I heard that glx will be deprecated and replaced by egl. Is that true?

I have asked this question on khronos forum, but no one answer me.

Sometimes I write OpenGL on Windows, but most of the time I write OpenGL on FreeBSD. But FreeBSD is not Linux. I am sorry to post it here.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Will it be? Maybe. But not anytime soon. Khronos has announced no initiative towards this goal.

That will be a little sad. I don't know how to start egl on X, Could you give me some clues?

Thank you!

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse
    You don't. That's what I just said; there is no EGL on X.
    That is not exactly true. AFAIK, it may still be true talking about proprietary drivers and it may very well be true with the X version current FreeBSD versions provide, but it's not true for any X based OS in general. Mesa implements everything you need to setup a context using EGL and there are projects that actually do it. For instance, KDE's KWin supports EGL context creation while still using GL2 afterwards (not GLES2). The main KWin dev elaborates in his blog. In addition, there is a proposal to deprecate GLX on Linux so EGL should eventually be your goto solution. For an additional scoop you may refer to groovounet's blog. Although I don't think it's anywhere near being a good resource, Phoronix has also "reported" on several occasions about EGL being actively used in Linux (and thus X based) environments.

Incidentally, after Wayland has been adopted, and I'm sure it will be at some point, EGL will be everything you need if AMD and NVIDIA catch up.

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    There was also a talk about this on the XDC 2012, you can find it on YouTube.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Yep, this is where Intel's Ian Romanick suggested GLX deprecration.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Maybe they've learned their lesson by now. ;-)