New to Opengl

Hi,

We are confused how to start with the opengl.
We need to develop the GUI using the opengl for automotive applications.
So anyone can please let us know, how to proceed with the opengl in windows environment.

BR,
navcra.

http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Getting_Started

Hi Tonyo,

Thanks to your kind response.
We are developing an user interface like, when button is pressed it needs to play song, open an navigation page. using the eclipse tool in c++.
Can you please suggest us document or any tutorial to work on it.

BR,
navcra.

you want to program an automotive appplication that plays songs? hm…that’s inventive.

concerning the gui- whether you want to use opengl or not, in my opinion QT is a good choice.
it comes with any type of widgets you need, and is not too hard to learn if you know a little c++.

and a very good documentation too: http://doc.qt.digia.com/4.7/index.html

Hi,

So using opengl is it not possible to do it.
Opengl is only meant for 3D applications like playing Games, Animation.

BR,
navcra.

[QUOTE=navcra;1247352]Hi,

Opengl is only meant for 3D applications like playing Games, Animation.

BR,
navcra.[/QUOTE]

it is possible. i did an GUI-based application with OpenGL myself. but it is also really complicated and there are easier and more straight-forward ways to do GUI for non-3d application, as you have been answered above.

OpenGL is a system for drawing stuff. So it can very much draw a GUI. However, it is a graphics system, so it doesn’t deal with user input. You’d need to do that in some other way.

More to the point, if all you’re making is a GUI application on Windows, there are a lot easier ways to go about it than directly using OpenGL. Using Win32 directly is much easier, never mind the various tools built on top of it for making GUI applications.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Can you please forward documents to develop GUI Application and how to started
I am using Eclipse as an IDE for developing application and Language is C++, platform in Windows.

BR,
navcra

Can you please forward documents to develop GUI Application and how to started

I’m afraid not. We like to stick with OpenGL on this OpenGL forum, not digging deeply into Win32 stuff. Also, Google can take you to many such resources, as well as numerous books on using Win32, Qt, wxWidgets, or any other GUI system you might want to use.

Hi,

OK i understood. Thanks for making me understand.
But i want to work and explore on Opengl. Since we will be working on automotive application in next few weeks.
so kindly suggest some documents or tutorial for exploring opengl using Eclipse IDE and C++ Language.

BR,
navcra.

Any C++ OpenGL tutorial should compile inside Eclipse. Just create a basic project in Eclipse and replace the main program with the tutoral code. To learn how to create a basic C++ programin Eclipse you will need to look on thier web site and forums.