Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Simple Texture Load & Unload

Junior Member Newbie

Simple Texture Load & Unload

Okay so I am making a live wallpaper for android phone but up until now, I have never noticed this issue.

Basically I am looking to see if my texture load & unload function is efficient or at least not horrible.

Breakdown of what happens on run:

-Wallpaper initialized.
    -Texture manager Loops through all textures and loads them using glBindTexture.
    -Wallpaper shows up running perfectly fine. Using 21mb of ram.
    -I have the background flip back and forth every few seconds, both backgrounds are already loaded.
    -I change background by doing this ---> paramGL10.glBindTexture(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureManager.textures[i]); ( I flip/ flop the integer between 0 and 1 for instance )
    -On phone lock unload textures
    -On phone resume, reload textures.

My ram increasing slowly but steadily. I don't understand why, all of my openGL knowledge has been self taught trial and error so I probably am not using the most efficient way of doing this.
    Increases continuously I have seen it go as high as 81mb.

Here is my code.

Texture Manager Loading Textures on initial run, or after phone was resumed.

Code :
    public static void loadTextures(GL10 paramGL10) {
          paramGL10.glGenTextures(MAX_TEXTURES,textures,0);    
          bindTextureIDs(paramGL10, "blank");
          bindTextureIDs(paramGL10, "grid");
         etc
         etc
         etc

Code :
      public static void bindTextureIDs(GL10 paramGL10, String fileName) {
          int ID = textureIDs.size();

textureIDs.put(fileName, ID);
            try {
            int resID = context.getResources().getIdentifier(fileName, "drawable", ApplicationPackageName);

BitmapFactory.Options bitmapOptions = new BitmapFactory.Options();
            bitmapOptions.inPreferredConfig = Bitmap.Config.ARGB_4444;

Bitmap bitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(context.getResources(), resID, bitmapOptions);
            paramGL10.glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,textures[ID]);
            paramGL10.glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL10.GL_NEAREST );
            paramGL10.glTexParameterf(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL10.GL_LINEAR);
            paramGL10.glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL10.GL_REPEAT);
            paramGL10.glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL10.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL10.GL_REPEAT);
            paramGL10.glTexEnvf(GL_TEXTURE_ENV,GL_TEXTURE_ENV_MODE,GL_MODULATE);
            GLUtils.texImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D,0,bitmap,0);
            paramGL10.glFlush();
            bitmap.recycle();
            } catch(Exception e) { Log.v("TEST","Texture Data Corrupt, Re-download Package."); }
      }

Texture Manager unloading textures on lock.

Code :
      public static boolean unload(GL10 paramGL10)
      {
        try {
            Log.v("TEST", "TextureManager Unloading Textures");
            paramGL10.glDeleteTextures(MAX_TEXTURES, textures, 0);
            paramGL10.glFlush();
            TextureManager.textureIDs.clear();
            isLoaded = false;
        } catch (Exception e) {}
        return true;
      }

And my rendering code

Code :
    public void render(GL10 paramGL10, TextureManager paramTextureManager, MeshManager paramMeshManager) {
                  int i = paramTextureManager.getTextureID(paramGL10, this.texName);
                  Mesh localMesh = paramMeshManager.getMeshByName(paramGL10, this.meshName);

paramGL10.glPushMatrix();
                  paramGL10.glTranslatef(this.origin.x,this.origin.y, this.origin.z);
                  paramGL10.glRotatef(180,0,0,1);
                  paramGL10.glBindTexture(GL10.GL_TEXTURE_2D, TextureManager.textures[i]);

if (this.color != null) 
                  paramGL10.glColor4f(this.color.x, this.color.y, this.color.z, this.color.a);
                  paramGL10.glScalef(this.scale.x, this.scale.y,this.scale.z);
                  paramGL10.glRotatef(this.angles.a, this.angles.x, this.angles.y, this.angles.z);
                  localMesh.renderFrame(paramGL10);
                  paramGL10.glPopMatrix();
            }

Can anyone help me explain why this is leaking my memory, I figured if I locked my phone and unlocked it after the memory leaked a lot, the unload and reload should clear the GPU memory but it does not.

I hope someone is able to help me see the error of my ways!

Thanks

Junior Member Newbie
    Update
    -----------
    I have read online that I should avoid using glDeleteTextures, only call texImage2D on initialize and then use glBind to reference the texture. So I have removed the glDeleteTextures, only called texImage2D on the initialize ( in this case the preview screen )
    and using glBind as normal.

This shows the livewallpaper in the preview window perfectly, as soon as I set the wallpaper, my entire window goes white and all textures seem to be lost. Now because I am not unloading and reloading textures it remains white ( as before this wouldnt happen, and if it did a simple lock phone and unlock would reload the textures )

But if I upload the application while its set as my wallpaper, it works perfect. Unless I go back to the wallpaper chooser and select the live wallpaper from the menu. Then once again the textures are all white.

Ugh what is the issue?

Junior Member Newbie
    Alright more reading and it turns out many people are having issues with the pause and resume reloading textures. I re-enabled everything back to the memory leak state and have only called

paramGL10.glGenTextures(MAX_TEXTURES,textures,0);
    on initialize. Seems to solve the memory leak issue. But if my wallpaper is set and I reselect it from the live wallpaper screen. my memory footprint doubles. I am going to sleep and hopefully it will come to me overnight.