Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Detection of edge of a polygon

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Actually I am working on some algorithm . Taking a seed point on the surface of a polygon. And propagate it considering the linked vertives. Suppose, v1 is my seed point. It has edge with v2, v3, v4 and so on. Next I am considering the link vertices of v2, v3, v4. Next iteration considering their links and so on. Now when viewed the behaviour of propagation of a seed point, it seems at some stage of iteration, some outermost layer points meet and forms a closed edge. Definitely one or a few of the outermost layer form a closed edge. I need to know at what stage the closed edgeis formed to avoid further iteration.
    Thanks for any further suggestion. Pls ask me if needs further clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by jenny_wui View Post
    Actually I am working on some algorithm . Taking a seed point on the surface of a polygon. And propagate it considering the linked vertives. Suppose, v1 is my seed point. It has edge with v2, v3, v4 and so on. Next I am considering the link vertices of v2, v3, v4. Next iteration considering their links and so on. Now when viewed the behaviour of propagation of a seed point, it seems at some stage of iteration, some outermost layer points meet and forms a closed edge. Definitely one or a few of the outermost layer form a closed edge. I need to know at what stage the closed edgeis formed to avoid further iteration.
    Thanks for any further suggestion. Pls ask me if needs further clarification.
    Once again, using that approach, every polygon will be a 'ring'.
    I don't think that's what you want.
    Also, you could easily wind up with an infinite number of rings.

A couple of ideas:

. . . . 1) disregard single polygons as rings,
    . . . . 2) find a way to spatially constrain the vertices relative to your seed point.
    . . . . . . (otherwise you'll get huge 100 point rings snaking all around your object)

- C

Yes, I am thinking some way to constrain the vertices relative to the seed point. Any further suggestion regarding this will be very helpful.