Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Multisample textures

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by debonair View Post
    Thanks, I mean to say do i need to set number of samples to 4 or 8 (instead of 1) while creating context in my config attributes?
    Oh, I see. No. You can create and use multisample textures of any number of samples under-the-hood independent of how many samples per pixel you allocate for your system framebuffer.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Photon View Post
    Oh, I see. No. You can create and use multisample textures of any number of samples under-the-hood independent of how many samples per pixel you allocate for your system framebuffer.
    One small point with that. If you want to blit your multisample texture to your system framebuffer that is also multisampled, they must have the same number of samples. If the system framebuffer is not multisampled, then you can use any sample count you want.

True. I hadn't considered that use case. Typically you want to off-screen render in MSAA and downsample blit to the system FB.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    This came up at one point because drivers often have a way to let users force multisampling on applications. And this usually manifests as forcing multisampling on the back buffer, thus breaking the blit from the internal FBO to the back buffer.

Ah! Good point!

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Does GL_RGB32I support for 4x or 8x multisampled textures in call glTeximage2DMultisample? Are there any other formats which do not support 4x or 8x ?