GLFW / SDL vs QT

I want to create a very small grahpics/game engine for my upcoming bachelor exam and I am currently collection information. A few days ago I discovered QT and it is really amazing and I will definitely use it to create an editor.
I know that there is GLFW / SDL but I am not sure what advantages/disadvantages I would get by using QT instead pf GLFW / SDL for a game.

I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI.

I’ve used Qt extensively fr the past years and it’s quite good for GL stuff. You can use it for the former. The latter is somewhat prohibited since Qt (at least up until 4.8.x) uses the fixed-function pipeline for most of its stuff. This has bugged me for a long time. What’s your targeted GL version and API compliance (core/compat)?

[QUOTE=thokra;1245869]

I’ve used Qt extensively fr the past years and it’s quite good for GL stuff. You can use it for the former. The latter is somewhat prohibited since Qt (at least up until 4.8.x) uses the fixed-function pipeline for most of its stuff. This has bugged me for a long time. What’s your targeted GL version and API compliance (core/compat)?[/QUOTE]

I am targeting OpenGL 4.x. I am currently using QT5 and it is really good. The only annoying thing is that some core parts are missing like VAO, but they should be added in 5.1.

Here is a video about opengl3.3+ and qt5 QtDD12 - OpenGL with Qt 5 - Dr. Sean Harmer - YouTube

“The only annoying thing is that some core parts are missing …, but they should be added in X.Y” - Yes, I heard that OpenGL 3.2 context creation gets added for MacOS X in QT 4.8 … well now it’s said that it gets added in 5.0. Creating a debug context should get added in 5.0, not sure if they will deliver tho.

QT is great for GUI apps, but a bit disappointing for OpenGL apps lately. GLFW however is great for OpenGL apps that don’t need much UI and with AntTweakBar [1] you get a minimal UI (very primitive but also very simple to add). LodePNG adds simple png loading/writing [2]. GLFW is well supported, runs good on MacOS as well as Linux and Windows and lets you create debug contexts. SDL is not so good supported anymore.

I would use GLFW with some additional small libs for small projects and QT for UI-heavy stuff (editors etc.).

[1] http://www.antisphere.com/Wiki/tools:anttweakbar
[2] LodePNG

[QUOTE=menzel;1245877]“The only annoying thing is that some core parts are missing …, but they should be added in X.Y” - Yes, I heard that OpenGL 3.2 context creation gets added for MacOS X in QT 4.8 … well now it’s said that it gets added in 5.0. Creating a debug context should get added in 5.0, not sure if they will deliver tho.

QT is great for GUI apps, but a bit disappointing for OpenGL apps lately. GLFW however is great for OpenGL apps that don’t need much UI and with AntTweakBar [1] you get a minimal UI (very primitive but also very simple to add). LodePNG adds simple png loading/writing [2]. GLFW is well supported, runs good on MacOS as well as Linux and Windows and lets you create debug contexts. SDL is not so good supported anymore.

I would use GLFW with some additional small libs for small projects and QT for UI-heavy stuff (editors etc.).

[1] http://www.antisphere.com/Wiki/tools:anttweakbar
[2] http://lodev.org/lodepng/[/QUOTE]

I read that OpenGL4 is not supported on mac os thats why i want to focus on linux and windows. The idea was that I can start building an editor where I can directly access the game. Something that cryengine currently supports(You press ctrl+g and you spawn ingame). So I can write everything in QT. Otherwise I have to use QT for GUI and GLFW for game itself.

edit:

Maybe I am able to find a clean way to use them both.