Stereoscopic 3D not using quadbuffer

As the title suggests. I was wondering if this is possible simply by rendering at 120hz.

So every odd frame we render to the right-eye, and every even frame we render to the left eye?

quad buffer is a special pixel format used when you create a window. It gives 2 buffers to draw to. It’s nothing to do with 120hz etc. Historically, only high end quadro cards supported quad buffer.

Yes I know that :). But I’m hoping for an alternative way to achieve stereoscopic 3D with shutter glasses.

There are multiple ways in the consumer space. Splitting your frame left/right or top/bottom is one, HDMI frame packing (really just a 1920x2250 or something framebuffer) another.

There are also solutions which scan out left/right temporally at 120Hz, but your application may never ever miss a frame, which is awfully hard at 120Hz (~8ms).

I am not even sure how it would work in software mode. How would you know which buffer you are starting to draw to, the left or right if it’s simply done on timing. Surely you’d need some hardware solution to sync to the display.

@dukey: The bino stereo movie player does this. The projector has a button to swap left/right for the initial setup, and from thereon you can’t miss a frame. Of course you’ll have sync-on-retrace on.

[QUOTE=shadoh;1245114]As the title suggests. I was wondering if this is possible simply by rendering at 120hz.

So every odd frame we render to the right-eye, and every even frame we render to the left eye?[/QUOTE]

Method of left/right frame determination varies significantly between display models. Couple of months ago I’ve seen an open-source library, which does all the job of interlacing/concatenating right and left images for any of stereo3d mods in one fragment shader pass. Sorry, cant find it in google now