Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help reconstructing pixel position from depth

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    Question: I have to delete the stencil test optimitzation, right?
    Have you tried using a separate depth and a separate stencil attachment? In that case you only have to have the depth texture bound for texturing and for depth test (read-only) and the stencil texture bound for stencil test (read/write). This probably should work fine.
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Junior Member Newbie
    I didn't know that I can separate the two, i belive that always come together. Now I'm using a packet linear depth into a RGB 24 bit texture, but I'm not really confortable with this.
    So it's possible to bound depth as target (because stencil test) and as texture (reconstruct positions) if it's read only both operations? (I mean with separate depth/stencil)

I was thinking for example with deferred decal where I perform a stencil operation to draw it on specific mesh (and dont paint others in the volume). It's possible with only one depth?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    I have some more questions,

1) You know a better way to compute point/spot radius? Now I just solve the 2 degree equation for a given threshold. What's threshold (now 1./16) it's the optimus?
    Looking at your math I'm not 100% sure exactly what you're doing here, but intuitively I think you're asking about how to define a bounding solid (sphere, cone, something like that) around the light source's area of influence to use for the lighting pass.

If you use a cone, two issues: cone angle, and cone length.

Regarding cone angle, I can tell you I really dislike OpenGL's point light source cone angle attentuation function because it never fades out to 0 until 180 deg. This means the actual angle you need for a bounding cone may vary all over the map depending on your tone mapping function, overlapping lights, etcetc. So I don't use it. Instead I use the D3D9 cone angle attenuation function because it is, guarenteed -- no fooling, 100% gone by the outer cone angle.

Regarding cone length, that's a bit tricky so you just have to be conservative. Thing is how far out its significant depends on tone mapping and other factors.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    2) I'm intrested in tile-base deferred rending, have you got more information about this technique? (I'm interested in any optimized technique)
    There's been a lot of stuff over the years. Just search any SIGGRAPH or GDC presentations in the last 5 years for deferred shading stuff. Pair your deferred shading search with DICE, Crytek, or other game shops to increase your hits. Here's some random stuff in the last few years that mentions it:

Code :
    Battle-tested Deferred Rendering on PS3, XBox 360, and PC
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
    Deferred Lighting and Post-processing on PS3
    Parallel Graphics in Frostbite - Current & Future
    Rendering Tech at Black Rock Studios
    Crytek: Future Graphics in Games - Notes
    Bending the Graphics Pipeline
    CryEngine3: Reaching the Speed of Light
    Deferred Rendering
    Screen Space Classification for Efficient Deferred Shading

The concept is fairly simple: instead of taking a G-buffer read and lighting buffer write fill hit for EVERY light source, bin the light sources by which tile(s) of the screen they cover (tile = MxN pixel block), and render ALL of the light sources for each bin at once (i.e. read G-buffer -> +light+light+light+light+light+light -> write/blend lighting buffer). Essentially, it's just batching light sources that overlap influence regions together.
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 11-30-2012 at 05:47 AM.