OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Texture distortion

Junior Member Newbie

Texture distortion

What could cause that?
    Any ideas?

This stuff happens when I use subregion from an atlas texture. (font atlas in this case)

Tried applying offsets, like I did for DirectX9.0c before (where I was mapping texels to pixels), however this strategy doesn't seem to work here. =(

Thanks.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Let's see an image of your atlas. Are you using premultipled alpha blending?

Junior Member Newbie
    hey, I don't know what you did in code, but you should try normalizing and unitizing your texture, i can suggest glm loader.
    From the other side, you should not use textures for your text, it will be better to use this.

Mike

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    From the other side, you should not use textures for your text
    http://www.angelcode.com/products/bmfont/ is a good bitmap font system - particularly if you use distance fields

Intern Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSharer View Post
    Tried applying offsets, like I did for DirectX9.0c before (where I was mapping texels to pixels), however this strategy doesn't seem to work here. =(
    Tried? As-in, did not in original attempt? OpenGL and Direct3D different here - be sure you do it the OpenGL way (well, the default way for OpenGL).

Just in case reference: (0,0) is where all the texture corners meet (when tiling) - _exactly_between_ the corner texels themselves. Ie, per dimension:

texel_center_texcoord = (texel_nr + 0.5) * (1 / texture_size)

The same is true for screen coords (in normalized device coordinates, [-1,1], (0,0) is the bottom left corner of the bottom left pixel) - be sure it is also correct in regards of your texture sampling.

Junior Member Newbie
    Thanks everyone, I've managed to handle the problem before post was approved by moderator. I was converting to premultiplied alpha with a typo in code, found out when looked up texture stored on device (with debugger).