Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Problem using VBOs

Intern Contributor

Problem using VBOs

Hello All,

I was mostly using the old glBegin() method for a long time. Now, im learning to use modern ways of specifying vertices. Here is some sample code i found online. I modified a little:
    What i tried to do is, in the same VBO, use color values also:

Code :
    static const char* pVS = "                                                    \n\
    #version 330                                                                  \n\
                                                                                  \n\
    layout (location = 0) in vec3 Position;                                       \n\
    layout (location = 1) in vec3 Col;                                            \n\
    out vec3 col_out;                                                             \n\
                                                                                  \n\
    void main()                                                                   \n\
    {                                                                             \n\
        gl_Position = vec4(0.5 * Position.x, 0.5 * Position.y, Position.z, 1.0);  \n\
        col_out = Col;                                                            \n\
    }";

static const char* pFS = "                                                    \n\
    #version 330                                                                  \n\
                                                                                  \n\
    out vec4 FragColor;                                                           \n\
    in vec3 col_out;                                                              \n\
                                                                                  \n\
    void main()                                                                   \n\
    {                                                                             \n\
       FragColor = vec4(col_out, 1.0);                                            \n\
    }";

typedef struct {
       Vector3f vert;
       Vector3f col;
    } Vertex;

Vertex Vertices[3];

static void RenderSceneCB()
    {
        glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);
        glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, VBO);
        glVertexAttribPointer(0, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), 0);

glEnableVertexAttribArray(1);
        glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), &(Vertices[0].col));

glDrawArrays(GL_TRIANGLES, 0, 3);

glDisableVertexAttribArray(0);
        glDisableVertexAttribArray(1);

glutSwapBuffers();
    }

static void InitializeGlutCallbacks()
    {
        glutDisplayFunc(RenderSceneCB);
    }

static void CreateVertexBuffer()
    {     

Vertices[0].vert = Vector3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f);
        Vertices[0].col = Vector3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

Vertices[1].vert = Vector3f(1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f);
        Vertices[1].col  = Vector3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

Vertices[2].vert = Vector3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
        Vertices[2].col  = Vector3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

glGenBuffers(1, &VBO);
        glBufferData(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, sizeof(Vertices), Vertices, GL_STATIC_DRAW);
    }

Here is the essential part. But i get a blank screen. Can anyone please let me know what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    The only thing I can see that looks odd is your glBindBuffer(GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, VBO);.
    I would only do this once prior to enabling and setting any vertex attributes

Intern Contributor
    Thanks for the reply tonyo_au. i tried doing it just once. i added the glBindBuffer() once , just before

glEnableVertexAttribArray(0);

But, it doesn't seem to work. I still get the black screen.

Member Regular Contributor
    The last argument of:
    Code :
    glVertexAttribPointer(1, 3, GL_FLOAT, GL_FALSE, sizeof(Vertex), &(Vertices[0].col));

should be the offset of the .col field in the Vertex structure (which is probably 12) as you are using a buffer object, and shouldn't be a client-side address.

There's different ways you could get this offset value including manually providing it, calculating the offset using the difference in address between a field and the start of a struct (eg. between &
    Vertices[0] and &Vertices[0].col) or using the offsetof macro.

Intern Contributor
    Thanks Dan Bartlett!

It works fine.