Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia Mobile Drivers ~ No Linux Support

Junior Member Newbie
    At least from what i could gather the difference is thought at at worst you are just stuck with using the GPU on amd without the switching working properly (that is the case with my new machine), while its unclear whether you are able to use the GPU at all with optimus (or with significant performance penalty). But maybe i'm misinformed about this. It would be more bearable if there was more concrete info about what works and what not. I for example would have been perfectly fine buying Nvidia if i knew that i can simply use the GPU without restriction and without switching...

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Nvidia should have put a big disclaimer on the linux driver download page indicating that mobile cards are unsupported. Instead they pretend they are supported and have some fine print on the "additional info" tab that says "Some designs incorporating supported GPUs may not be compatible with the NVIDIA Linux driver: in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available."

Good luck figuring out if your laptop has Optimus graphics. None of the PC makers list it in the hardware specs.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentHamster
    Nvidia should have put a big disclaimer on the linux driver download page indicating that mobile cards are unsupported. Instead they pretend they are supported and have some fine print on the "additional info" tab that says "Some designs incorporating supported GPUs may not be compatible with the NVIDIA Linux driver: in particular, notebook and all-in-one desktop designs with switchable (hybrid) or Optimus graphics will not work if means to disable the integrated graphics in hardware are not available."

Good luck figuring out if your laptop has Optimus graphics. None of the PC makers list it in the hardware specs.
    Not all (by far!) NVIDIA mobile GPU's are Optimus. But think about it: none of those laptops are advertised to work with Linux, they have freaking Windows pre-installed for crying out loud. As a side note, did you even read the article to which mhaigen provided a link?!

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTE3MzY
    Aaron Plattner, one of the lead NVIDIA Linux engineers, publicly wrote "So I've been experimenting with support for Dave Airlie's new RandR 1.4 provider object interface, so that Optimus-based laptops can use our driver to drive the discrete GPU and display on the integrated GPU. The good news is that I've got a proof of concept working."
    It looks like first class Optimus support is coming and while you are waiting you can read this (which admittedly is a touch out of date and vulgar): http://linuxhaters.blogspot.fi/2008/...en-source.html
    Last edited by kRogue; 10-10-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kRogue View Post
    As a side note, did you even read the article to which mhaigen provided a link?!
    Yeah, I read it. It's horribly inaccurate as I mentioned in my other responses in this thread. Go read Aaron's original emails. Nvidia has NOT said that Optimus will be officially supported. Intel was OFFICIALLY developing Larrabee and look what happened there. In other words, don't hold your breath for linux support. It could be a year or more, if ever.

Yeah, ok let's stick with Windows since it's preinstalled. Nevermind my company's reasons for not using Windows.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Go read Aaron's original emails. Nvidia has NOT said that Optimus will be officially supported.
    No he doesn't. And why should he? He said that they were experimenting with implementing it, and that he had a proof-of-concept working.

People at companies generally don't get to pursue random side-projects. So this experimentation was obviously at the behest of NVIDIA, who likely wanted a feasibility study into how long it would take, what manpower and support would be needed, etc.

If support for Optimus is going to happen on Linux, then that's the first step: figuring out what it would cost NVIDIA to provide it.

It could be a year or more, if ever.
    Or it could be before Christmas. Or Valve could go to them and crack the whip, as they seem to be shifting towards Linux as a real OS target.

Yeah, ok let's stick with Windows since it's preinstalled. Nevermind my company's reasons for not using Windows.
    I don't know; it seems to me that your company's IT department should have investigated whether or not their laptop could support their OS and graphics hardware of choice.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse
    So this experimentation was obviously at the behest of NVIDIA, who likely wanted a feasibility study into how long it would take, what manpower and support would be needed, etc.
    In addition, there is a controversy around GPL lincensed kernel code which would have be lincensed differently in order for NVIDIA to actually bring the changes. Several kernel developers, however, have not accepted a corresponding pull request by an Intel engineer. More on that matter here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart View Post
    People at companies generally don't get to pursue random side-projects.
    I had no idea. Thanks for letting me know what "people at companies" do with their time.

Quote Originally Posted by thokra View Post
    In addition, there is a controversy around GPL lincensed kernel code which would have be lincensed differently in order for NVIDIA to actually bring the changes. Several kernel developers, however, have not accepted a corresponding pull request by an Intel engineer. More on that matter here.
    Thanks for the post. So, NVidia is encountering some headwinds...