Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: Nvidia Mobile Drivers ~ No Linux Support

Hybrid View

Intern Contributor

Nvidia Mobile Drivers ~ No Linux Support

My company just ordered a laptop with a 640 M in it. Unfortunately, the linux driver doesn't detect the card. We found this webpage: http://techies.ncsu.edu/wiki/bumblebee-nvidia

The page states that Nvidia cards with Optimus technology don't work under Linux. This is a major problem. Has Nvidia stopped supporting the Linux community?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolentHamster View Post
    Has Nvidia stopped supporting the Linux community?
    Seems a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

It's actually quite the opposite. See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE3MzY

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Bumblebee works quite well. However, you loose performance because you have to copy final images between seperate X servers, the one rendering with the Intel GPU's running and the one rendering with the NVIDIA GPU. This copy process eats up a lot of performance.

Intern Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    Seems a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

It's actually quite the opposite. See http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE3MzY
    Ummm. No, I don't think that's an overreaction. The fact is that there is no satisfactory working solution and this point in time. Linus was justified in his response to Nvidia. That article was misleading. "I can't promise that we're going to officially support this stuff." --Aaron Plattner

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Well questioning if NVIDIA are stopping to support the Linux community on account of one class of hardware on one class of machine, hardware that is known to be singularly complex and that has dependencies on a second GPU as well as a second set of drivers from another manufacturer, as well as the ability of the OS to be able to switch GPUs at runtime (in other words the whole thing is incredibly non-trivial), does seem to be over-doing it a little to me.

Intern Contributor
    LOL. Do you have NVidia stock? It's not "one class of hardware on one class of machine". It's pretty much all laptops with recent Nvidia GPUs in them. Maybe if you researched it a little more, you would realize how big of a problem it is.

It's so hard they could only figure it out on Windows? Give me a break.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Do you have NVidia stock?
    Right, because disagreeing with someone's opinion and taking up someone's side means that you're a corporate shill.

It's pretty much all laptops with recent Nvidia GPUs in them.
    All Optimus laptops that happen to be running Linux. What is that, maybe 2-3% of their entire customer base? It's probably only 15% at most of their Linux customer base. So it's pretty hyperbolic to say that their lack of support for Optimus on Linux means that they don't support Linux at all.

Plus, there's the fact that they are now fixing the problem. Thus making your statement more wrong. There is a difference between "not supporting" and "not our highest priority." Linux generally is not the latter. For anyone.