OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: 3D screen precision of OpenGL

Hybrid View

Junior Member Newbie

Lightbulb 3D screen precision of OpenGL

hello everybody....
    when i need to draw line by one of line algorithms using glvertix3f , it seemed to be as number of points in a Straight line , but my problem is that there is many of free pixels appeared between each two adjacent point , So how can I exceed this problem and make each two adjacent points be Convergent , also the Straight line appear smooth ??

the problem that drawing line appear as folow::
    .................................................. .................................................. ...................

But i need it smooth as follow:
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

thanks in advance

Member Regular Contributor
    Are you using GL_LINES? Try using GL_LINE_STRIP.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bartlett View Post
    Are you using GL_LINES? Try using GL_LINE_STRIP.
    thanks for reply

Non of them .............. I need to apply the bresenham algorithm that calculate the pixels and draw it using glvertex3f command ....

The idea that in 3D there is many of free pixels appear between any two adjacent points ,,,,,,,,,,, how can i process it ??

for acknowledge while using the same algorithm in C++ the line appear smooth___________________________________

You might want to post an image if you can. In general consumer cards are not up to nice looking line drawing nowadays. You need a workstation card (more expensive) to do that, or you can draw chunky lines made out of triangles. There may be other techniques depending on what needs to be done.

EDITED: BTW you are not doing glBegin(GL_LINE...) ? That would be a problem if so.
    Last edited by michagl; 09-25-2012 at 07:39 PM.
    God have mercy on the soul that wanted hard decimal points and pure ctor conversion in GLSL.

Quote Originally Posted by alneam View Post
    thanks for reply

Non of them .............. I need to apply the bresenham algorithm that calculate the pixels and draw it using glvertex3f command ....

The idea that in 3D there is many of free pixels appear between any two adjacent points ,,,,,,,,,,, how can i process it ??

for acknowledge while using the same algorithm in C++ the line appear smooth___________________________________
    So you're drawing the line using GL_POINTS? Why are you doing this? For educational purposes?

Does your algorithm handle the bresenham algorithm correctly in all 8 octants? If your algorithm doesn't handle all octants correctly it's possible to get gaps between the points generated.
    If you're drawing points with size > 1.0 + anti-aliasing is on, then perhaps that could cause problems too when drawing points that overlap.