OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: About VSync

Hybrid View

Junior Member Newbie

About VSync

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on vertical synchronization. The question is simple : On windows I've found a method (wglGetSwapIntervalEXT() in WGL_EXT_swap_control) to know if VSync is activated.

My problem is, I cannot find the method for linux support. I have already checked SGI and ARB even if I don't know so much about extensions.

Thanks
    Benjamin

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin3D View Post
    I'm currently working on vertical synchronization. The question is simple : On windows I've found a method (wglGetSwapIntervalEXT() in WGL_EXT_swap_control) to know if VSync is activated.

My problem is, I cannot find the method for linux support. I have already checked SGI and ARB even if I don't know so much about extensions
    http://www.opengl.org/registry/ is your friend. See GLX_EXT_swap_control. NVidia supports this at least.

If you check the extension spec, you'll see there is a GLX_SWAP_INTERVAL_EXT state on the drawable that can be queried via glXQueryDrawable() -- see the extension spec for full code here. But why can't you just cache this value off in your app space rather than query GLX / the X server for it. Likely to be faster (gets should generally be avoided for performance).

Also you might be interested in the GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear extension.