Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 4.3 thread

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    They're already maintaining two specs anyway.
    At some point this nonsense should just stop. Introducing a complete DSA API is the perfect opportunity to realize what was originally planned 4 years ago.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by absence View Post
    We're all disillusioned with the ARB...
    Hey, speak for yourself! I second the rest of what you said, but let's avoid the grandstanding too. Each of us represents our own suggestions and opinions -- no others.

Over the years, I've come to appreciate the difficult job the ARB has. They're never going to please anyone completely (and they're limited by corporate budgets and priorities), so if anyone out there's holding their breath for complete nirvana, they might as well sit down before they pass out. Just throw your opinion out there for consideration, and don't get your panties all in a wad if you don't get everything you want. You're not the only fish in the pool.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Photon View Post
    Hey, speak for yourself!
    Sorry, I meant to point out that Reinheart isn't the only one disillusioned, not grandstand. Back to the topic of feedback, I forgot to mention the elephant in the room: Can we please have multi-threading in OpenGL?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Can we please have multi-threading in OpenGL?
    A GPU is inherently multi-threaded - following AMD rhetoric it's even ultra-threaded. The problem is the single command buffer you can fill. Multi-threaded OpenGL can be done using two or more contexts in different threads. However, if you have a single command buffer and you switch threads it's nothing more than adding GL commands sequentially to that command buffer depending on what thread is currently pushing. If you have multiple command buffers, as with multiple GPUs, you can have true multi-threading.

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar
    You can - just create a separate GL context for each thread, belonging to the same share group. You can then have some threads create objects, fill buffers, etc. while another does the rendering. This is precisely what GL_ARB_sync is for.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by absence View Post
    I don't understand why everybody is asking for multi-threading in OpenGL since D3D has it. FYI: OpenGL always had multi-threading support.
    D3D's multi-threading approach is not much different. Only deferred contexts are something that OpenGL doesn't have, though it's kind of similar to display lists. Also, deferred context promise more than what they actually achieve as in practice they barely give any benefit.
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by thokra View Post
    However, if you have a single command buffer and you switch threads it's nothing more than adding GL commands sequentially to that command buffer depending on what thread is currently pushing. If you have multiple command buffers, as with multiple GPUs, you can have true multi-threading.
    Neither of those cases are very interesting, since the most common hardware setup is multiple CPU cores and a single GPU. Direct3D solves this by having multiple command lists for a single GPU. Isn't that feasible for OpenGL as well?

Quote Originally Posted by aqnuep View Post
    Only deferred contexts are something that OpenGL doesn't have, though it's kind of similar to display lists.
    It doesn't matter if it's similar, because OpenGL doesn't have display lists.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Direct3D solves this by having multiple command lists for a single GPU.
    And does the hardware actually map that to multiple parallel command streams as well? Multiple streams in software don't give you much gain if you are still forced to be sequential in hardware.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    A D3D deferred context is almost exactly as described - record API calls on a separate thread then play them back on the main thread. There's a very obvious case it targets and that's the case where the cost of making these API calls sequentially on the main thread outweighs the overhead of threading and of making two passes over each command (once to record and once to play back). It shouldn't be viewed as a "implement this and you'll be teh awesome" feature, rather, it needs careful profiling of your program and informed decision making. Implement it in a program that doesn't have the performance characteristics it targets and things will get worse.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagain View Post
    It shouldn't be viewed as a "implement this and you'll be teh awesome" feature, rather, it needs careful profiling of your program and informed decision making.
    Correct, and in order to decide whether to use a feature or not it needs to exist.