glDrawElements inside if statement

I’m using glDrawElements to draw a flat quad made of lots of triangles. This works fine, but I want to be able to turn the quad on or off, so I put it inside an if statement that draws it if renderTris == true, then I write an event handler for the KeyDown event so I can set renderTris on or off by pressing the T key.

That’s when it gets wierd. Outside the if statement, it works fine. If renderTris is initially false, though, I can’t get the quad to show up no matter how many times I press the T key. If renderTris is initially true, I can press T once to turn the quad off, but I can’t turn it back on again. I’m certain it’s not a problem with the if statement or the event handler, since the same exact code works when I draw the quad with GL_POINTS or GL_LINES rather than GL_TRIANGLES. And it must be registering the key press, since if renderTris is initially true, pressing T to turn the quad off works; I just can’t turn it on again.

My conclusion is that it’s some quirk of OpenGL or glDrawElements or GL_TRIANGLES that I haven’t come across before. Does anyone know what quirk might be causing this? I haven’t found much to explain it with a Google search, though admittedly that might be because I have no idea what to search for.

Here’s the if statement in question:

gl.BindBuffer(OpenGL.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, vertexBufferObjectIds[0]);
gl.EnableVertexAttribArray(0);
gl.VertexAttribPointer(0, 3, OpenGL.GL_FLOAT, false, 0, new IntPtr(0));

if (renderTris == true)
            {
                gl.Color(0.2f, 0.8f, 0.2f);
                gl.BindBuffer(OpenGL.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, indexBufferTriIds[0]);
                gl.DrawElements(OpenGL.GL_TRIANGLES, 486, OpenGL.GL_UNSIGNED_INT, new IntPtr(0));
                gl.BindBuffer(OpenGL.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);
            }

gl.BindBuffer(OpenGL.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER, 0);

It’s C# so I apologize if it looks a little wierd.

Post the code you’re using to test for key presses. It sounds like that’s the likely culprit.

EDIT - further to the above, it seems like you’re setting a flag on key down, but not clearing it on key up.

Here it is:

private void openGLControl_KeyDown(object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
        {
            OpenGL gl = openGLControl.OpenGL;

if (e.KeyCode == Keys.V)
            {
                if (renderPoints == false)
                {
                    renderPoints = true;
                    openGLControl.Invalidate();
                }
                else if (renderPoints == true)
                {
                    renderPoints = false;
                }
            }
            if (e.KeyCode == Keys.G)
            {
                if (renderGrid == false)
                {
                    renderGrid = true;
                }
                else if (renderGrid == true)
                {
                    renderGrid = false;
                }
            }
            if (e.KeyCode == Keys.T)
            {
                if (renderTris == false)
                {
                    renderTris = true;
                }
                if (renderTris == true)
                {
                    renderTris = false;
                }
            }
        }

As mentioned, it works fine with points and lines (renderGrid), but not with tris. openGLControl.Invalidate() is something from SharpGL that’s kind of like reDraw; it tells the OpenGL window that something’s changed and to redraw everything to take the changes into account.

You’ve missed an “else” statement, so it is always executing the second part of code when T is pressed.

:doh:
I can’t believe I didn’t notice that. Thanks, Dan. I guess this wasn’t a case of OpenGL being quirky as much as me being an idiot.