Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

View Poll Results: Do you think we should have separate forums for legacy and modern OpenGL questions?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we should have them separated

3 25.00%
  • No, it's okay how it is now

9 75.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Separate core and compatibility forums? Maybe legacy/modern OpenGL forums?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    Cross-posting can be a problem, but the moderators are allowed to remove duplicated posts. Furthermore, they/you can replace posts from one subforum to another if they are not appropriate for a certain subforum. On the other hand, if posters don't know where to put their post how they could know how to tag them. It is still more undetermined. I still don't think having multiple sections/subforums is a bad idea.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    How is it a good idea? You need to provide reasoning and/or evidence that this is needed. And thus far, there has been little of that presented.

Dark Photon's most important point is this: this forum doesn't get enough traffic to justify it. We get maybe 30 new threads a day. Do we really need 10 different slots to put those 30 threads into?

It's not like the beginner's forum is so overrun with questions that a person who only visits the forum daily is buried under an avalanche of new posts to read.

As it stands, we already have people misusing the categories. People will post purely GLSL issues in the Advance forum. People will post what are clearly driver bugs in the Beginner's forum. Windows issues will wind up in the Math section. Or whatever.

How will adding even more categories improve things? What is so deficient currently that needs to be corrected with more sub-forums?

This sounds more like a programmer's obsessive need with categorizing and imposing order than anything of actual use to the site.

Every idea has its pros and contras. For example, I remember there was a thread about some CUDA problems considering speed of execution and a very good advice how to change precision model in order to get better performance. What is the chance to find that posts now? Everything will be much simpler if we have an interoperability section (subforum) for all CUDA/OpenCL/D3D posts.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar View Post
    Every idea has its pros and contras. For example, I remember there was a thread about some CUDA problems considering speed of execution and a very good advice how to change precision model in order to get better performance. What is the chance to find that posts now? Everything will be much simpler if we have an interoperability section (subforum) for all CUDA/OpenCL/D3D posts.
    I couldn't agree with you more. I met the same problem so many times...
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Every idea has its pros and contras.
    No they don't. Some ideas are fundamentally better than others; by contrast, some ideas are unquestionably worse.

For example, I remember there was a thread about some CUDA problems considering speed of execution and a very good advice how to change precision model in order to get better performance. What is the chance to find that posts now?
    I don't know; is this it? If it is, I found it in 5 minutes by searching for "CUDA performance precision". I never read this thread and I didn't know what I was looking for. So if I found it after a quick search, I'd say there's a good chance there's no actual problem to be solved.

Everything will be much simpler if we have an interoperability section (subforum) for all CUDA/OpenCL/D3D posts.
    How would that make "everything" "simpler"? It would only be easier to find under the following two conditions:

1: There were very few threads in this interoperability section, and thus you wouldn't have to use the search function. Searching for "CUDA" on an interop forum is basically like searching for every thread in that forum.

2: That the thread you were looking for were actually posted there. Sure, you say that moderators can move threads around. But that's basically admitting to the fundamental problem: if you need a mod to clean up after basic user behavior, then that's a problem with the system, not with the user.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    I agree with Dark Photon, and Alfhonse, not worth the bother of making a separate forum category of Core vs Compatibility. I think Alfhonse hit the nail on the head:

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhonse
    This sounds more like a programmer's obsessive need with categorizing and imposing order than anything of actual use to the site.
    besides, the categories are far from disjoint. Tags is better: GL4+, GL3+, GL2+, GLES2, etc. The GLES2 forums at khronos are pretty sorry state (not the forum itself, but the content), so well, we all get the idea.

However, a separate forum for "interop" would be nice where CUDA, OpenCL, related interop issues (and only suc) would go would be good, because right now there is no good place to put such questions/suggestions, etc.

Thank you, Alfonse, for finding the lost thread.

Well, Daniel, we obviously have to build better searching skills.