Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    Is there any way the text editor can capture TAB key events and actually indent code? Can one override the default behavior of the browser once the text editor gets the focus?

The reason I ask is obvious: If you write some code from scratch to explain something you can't go ahead and indent it as usual by a simple press of the TAB key but only by tedious banging of the space bar. Ok, one could edit stuff in another editor and post the formatted code right into the code section, but that's not how it's supposed to work, is it?

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar

New formatting options added to advanced editor

We've just added a few new formatting options (all samples shown with spaces but must be used without spaces):

Strickthrough: found in the advanced editor and used as [ STRIKE ] Some text [ / STRIKE ]
    Notes: found in the advanced editor and used as [ note ] Some text [ / note ]
    Variables: found in the advanced editor and used as [ var ] Some text [ / var ]
    Highlight: found in the advanced editor and used as [ HIGHLIGHT ] Some text [ / HIGHLIGHT ]

Highlight will let you choose the language you wish to set the syntax highlighting as. You simply need to choose the language in the opening tag [ HIGHLIGHT = cpp ] Some C++ code here [ / HIGHLIGHT ]

A complete list of languages is available on the Geshi website
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thokra View Post
    Is there any way the text editor can capture TAB key events and actually indent code? Can one override the default behavior of the browser once the text editor gets the focus?

The reason I ask is obvious: If you write some code from scratch to explain something you can't go ahead and indent it as usual by a simple press of the TAB key but only by tedious banging of the space bar. Ok, one could edit stuff in another editor and post the formatted code right into the code section, but that's not how it's supposed to work, is it?
    Yup, that is how it's supposed to work. At least on all the forums I've been too. Changing the default behaviour of the tab on one field could also lead to those with accessibility issues, not being able to post questions anymore. As the tab is used to move from field to field.
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Khronos_webmaster View Post
    We've just added a few new formatting options (all samples shown with spaces but must be used without spaces):
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Low priority, but would be nice if we could enable a setting or extension in VBulletin that prevents follow-ups to a thread after ~3-6 months (to stop folks from ressurrecting long-dead threads they dig out of the search engine). I notice that gamedev.net has something similar:

* http://www.gamedev.net/topic/622911-...ch-game-engine
    Old topic!
    Guest, the last post of this topic is over 180 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    Also my vote for this proposal. Old post should be locked.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro
    I just noticed that using code tags which are set in italics are completed automatically and form the following:

'['code']'I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI.
    '['/code']' -> '['code']'I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI. '['/code']['code']['/code]'

Code :
    I would use QT for window/input management and possibly for an ingame GUI.
    Code :

I don't know if this behavior is intended.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor
    I don't know how are you with it, but the new forum is horrible when it comes to showing visited threads.
    I found at least these problems:
    1. Posts are not always marked as read even if I read it, it seems like you have to refresh twice (or visit twice, not sure, couldn't figure out the logic) in order for the post to be marked as read.
    2. Similar problem with forums.
    3. If I reply to a post it marks the post unread, but when I check it, the only new thing is really my own post, which is kind of against logic.

There weren't such issues with the original forum. Does anybody else face the same issues?
    Disclaimer: This is my personal profile. Whatever I write here is my personal opinion and none of my statements or speculations are anyhow related to my employer and as such should not be treated as accurate or valid and in no case should those be considered to represent the opinions of my employer.
    Technical Blog: http://www.rastergrid.com/blog/

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar
    No, I don't have such problem. Neither on phone nor on desktop/laptop. On all platforms I'm using Opera or OperaMobile web browser. It is sufficient just to get a list of new topics to be marked as visited and not listed in another refresh.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    I get problems like that. It's more that it seems like there's a lengthy delay between when you read a thread and when the forum decides you've read it. Something like several hours have to pass before a thread or forum is marked as "read" for you.

I'm using Firefox, FYI.