Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL forum upgrade April 25th at 4AM PST

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Khronos_webmaster View Post
    Please post issues you may find with the new forums here. I'll work as fast as possible to correct any problems.
    I think one of my biggest problems with the new forums is that when I select a thread that has new posts, it jumps to the first post rather than the first "unread" post. This is a big time sync. I don't like reading new posts out of context in the forum-and-thread-merged "new posts" list, and sorting a thread new posts first means you're reading the thread in reverse chrono order which isn't ideal.

Could we consider implementing this:

* Go to Unread Post after clicking Text Title (VBulletin 4 Forums)

Sounds like it's just popping a "goto=newpost" into a template.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Dark Photon; 05-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Also, there's still not much visual difference between the "no new posts" and the "new posts" icons on the forums, even on desktops, but especially on smaller displays like tablets. Think we could change the unread color to bright yellow, orange, or something, and possibly use an icon with a larger "active" area that would be this color than the checkmark? This isn't a high priority, but would be nice if you've got more icons you can flip in easily.

Member Regular Contributor
    I have a very minor thing, but probably can be just turned off easily.
    Do we really need the button (and the page containing it) 'click here when you are not returned in 5 seconds' (or compatible) during login?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Photon View Post
    ...when I select a thread that has new posts, it jumps to the first post rather than the first "unread" post. ... Could we consider implementing this:

* Go to Unread Post after clicking Text Title (VBulletin 4 Forums)

Sounds like it's just popping a "goto=newpost" into a template.

Thanks.
    As a for-instance, try this link:

* http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...s?goto=newpost

which does this. You can do this with any thread link, but you have to append the ?goto=newpost yourself. Would be great if the forums would just do this for you.

Uh oh. Looks like searching lost track of the posts from the old forums. Try a search for "bindless", any date, sorted in descending order by date. You get one hit -- something posted recently on the VB forums.

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar
    I've made this addition. Hopefully it makes sense and works as expected.
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Administrator Regular Contributor Khronos_webmaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Photon View Post
    Uh oh. Looks like searching lost track of the posts from the old forums. Try a search for "bindless", any date, sorted in descending order by date. You get one hit -- something posted recently on the VB forums.
    Need to rebuild the index one more time. I'll run it tonight and everything should hopefully, finally, be good. The first build is really intensive and keeps stopping before it finishes.
    Webmaster Khronos.org and OpenGL.org

Junior Member Regular Contributor
    Where do you set the date format?
    This BBS is displaying all the dates in that weird american format with the date and month reversed.
    The General Settings/Date & Time options does not have a date format option.

Super Moderator OpenGL Lord
    I have 2 requests to fight spam :
    1) prevent URLs in signature, unless certain threshold of un-deleted posts is reached, and for every user having been assigned a "Spam infraction"
    2) a way for moderators to ban spammer users

Thanks. However, I'm not seeing it. When I click on a thread with unread posts, it still puts me on the first post, not the first "unread" post like the old forums did.

I do see there's a "View First Unread" link above the post displayed after you open the thread that will jump to where I want. Is the proposal that we hit that every time we open a thread rather than have the forums do this for you automatically?