Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: tutorial building for "Learning Modern 3D Graphics

Junior Member Regular Contributor tksuoran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekend View Post
    I don't agree. It's more elegant and future proof to create these premake scripts and get ready for dozens of DEV tools. If you add VS solutions and projects, then for what version of VS? What if the user has an older version of VS? Using premake4 is not too dificult. Imho using premake is much more simple then using makefiles and CMake.
    I was perhaps a bit too brief. I did mention cmake, and the idea is that you can make cmake to produce VS solution with proper project dependencies. You make all executable projects depend on the libraries they need. You can even do this with both libraries which you include as part of your source, and also with external libraries which are located during cmake configuration step. I see no reason why a build should end in an error due to missing dependency. Such errors should be reported by the meta build tool, which should also do some effort to locate the libraries during configure step.

Newbie Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFritz View Post
    - do every step as in the tutorial. When you have gotten the .sln files from premaker: open the .sln belonging to the glsdk in Visual Studio, click "built->configuration-manager" chose "debug", built the project. Click "built-> configuration-manager" chose "release", built the project.
    - do the same thing ("premaker", Visual Studio: build "debug" and "release") for all tutorials.
    I believe this is essentially what is written in the "Building the tutorials", just applied to VS2010.

Thanks TheFritz, this solved my problem with building the tutorials in Visual Studio . Another thing to keep in mind, make sure you set your startup project (right-click project in Solution Explorer and click Set as Startup Project)to the tutorial you are trying to view. Otherwise you will get the misleading "Unable to start program (..)/frameworkD.lib"

Newbie Newbie

Lightbulb Guide to building the gltut projects

Hey!
    I also had trouble with building the tutorials. When I figured out how to do it, I wrote a little guide to help people who are struggling with the build process. It's written primarily for Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010, but most of the concepts apply on all platforms! Here's the URL: emillindfors.fi/blog/building-gltut

Hope this helps someone!

Junior Member Newbie
    Hello!
    I'm new to the forum and to OpenGL too...that's why I'm trying to get these tutorials work.

Anyway it seems i didn't catch something or doing wrong cause when I build the files using "premake4 xcode3" in glsdk for example I get these lines:

Building configurations...
    Running action 'xcode3'...
    Generating glload/glload.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj...
    Generating glimg/glimg.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj...
    Generating freeglut/freeglut.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj...
    Generating glutil/glutil.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj...
    Generating glmesh/glmesh.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj...
    Done.

but after that I can't move onward:
    I understood I have to compile it...the problem is I don't get any file in the folder to compile, just .xcodeproj files in every subfolder, and if I try to compile them one by one some of them work and some else give errors..

PS: Trying to perform actions like "premake4 vs2008" or "premake4 gmake" works different...creating a .sln file or a MAKEFILE respectively.. (In the main folder!)

Hope I've been clear
    Waiting for an help.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    Waiting for an help.
    There's not much I can do to help here. MacOSX is not supported by my code, for several reasons. First, I don't have ready access to MacOSX, so I can't actually test anything there. Also, I don't know anything about XCode or Premake's support for XCode. Second, my code uses OpenGL 3.3, and MacOSX only support 3.2 (for some reason). So it wouldn't run anyway.

I'm sorry, but there's nothing I can do.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart View Post
    Hoped there was a solution for this...anyway thank you for your answer ....guess i'll have to switch to my win partition or follow the tutorials on my desktop during weekends when I'm back home then!

Newbie Newbie
    I think I'm having the same basic problem that many others are having when trying to build the tutorials in CodeBlocks on Windows 7.
    Here's some background:
    I followed the instructions to download and build the OpenGL SDK, and Premake4.
    I used Premake4 with premake4 codeblocks command in the SDK folder and it created a CodeBlocks file for me.
    I opened this file in CodeBlocks (v12.11) and started a build.
    I also downloaded the Tutorials and used Premake4 in that folder to make a codeblocks file.
    I opened the tutorial file in CodeBlocks and tried to build.

I get a compile error for the ld.exe file that says "cannot find -lglloadD"

I read through this thread, but I cannot get this issue solved. Can someone please help me to diagnose and resolve this error.
    I still new to C++ so these kinds of errors knock me out.

Thanks.

Junior Member Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart View Post
    There's not much I can do to help here. MacOSX is not supported by my code, for several reasons. First, I don't have ready access to MacOSX, so I can't actually test anything there. Also, I don't know anything about XCode or Premake's support for XCode. Second, my code uses OpenGL 3.3, and MacOSX only support 3.2 (for some reason). So it wouldn't run anyway.

Finally I have free time to spend at home and can use my desktop!
    Tonight i tried to build the tutorials so I could start your book, anyway I have encountered a problem while trying to build the tutorials under VS2010:

Building the glskd all went well, but when i try to build the tutorials, i.e. as an unique project (but one by one is the same) the framework would build, but none of the Tut builds getting this error [ LINK : fatal error LNK1123: errore durante la conversione in COFF: file non valido o danneggiato ] (in english LINK : fatal error LNK1123: error during COFF conversion: file not valid or damaged )

Hope you can help solving this, thank you!

[EDIT] Seem to have solved!, thank you anyway!
    Last edited by korialis; 06-28-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Junior Member Newbie
    Hello,

I 'm building the tutorials on ubuntu 12.10. Premake runs fine. Then I run make: it builds tutorials 1 and 13 and then spits the following error:

Code :
    ==== Building Tut 12 Scene Lighting (debug) ====
    Lights.cpp
    In file included from Lights.h:12:0,
                     from Lights.cpp:13:
    ../framework/Interpolators.h: In instantiation of ‘void Framework::ConstVelLinearInterpolator<ValueType>::SetValues(const BidirectionalRange&, bool) [with BidirectionalRange = std::vector<glm::detail::tvec3<float> >; ValueType = glm::detail::tvec3<float>]’:
    Lights.cpp:66:35:   required from here
    ../framework/Interpolators.h:183:5: error: ‘distance’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    Lights.cpp:38:7: note: ‘float distance(const vec3&, const vec3&)’ declared here, later in the translation unit
    ../framework/Interpolators.h: In instantiation of ‘void Framework::TimedLinearInterpolator<ValueType>::SetValues(const BidirectionalRange&, bool) [with BidirectionalRange = std::vector<std::pair<glm::detail::tvec4<float>, float> >; ValueType = glm::detail::tvec4<float>]’:
    Lights.cpp:149:41:   required from here
    ../framework/Interpolators.h:76:5: error: ‘GetValue’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    Lights.cpp:133:7: note: ‘float GetValue(const MaxIntensityData&)’ declared here, later in the translation unit
    ../framework/Interpolators.h:77:5: error: ‘GetTime’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    Lights.cpp:134:7: note: ‘float GetTime(const MaxIntensityData&)’ declared here, later in the translation unit
    ../framework/Interpolators.h: In instantiation of ‘void Framework::TimedLinearInterpolator<ValueType>::SetValues(const BidirectionalRange&, bool) [with BidirectionalRange = std::vector<std::pair<float, float> >; ValueType = float]’:
    Lights.cpp:155:58:   required from here
    ../framework/Interpolators.h:76:5: error: ‘GetValue’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    Lights.cpp:133:7: note: ‘float GetValue(const MaxIntensityData&)’ declared here, later in the translation unit
    ../framework/Interpolators.h:77:5: error: ‘GetTime’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    Lights.cpp:134:7: note: ‘float GetTime(const MaxIntensityData&)’ declared here, later in the translation unit
    make[1]: *** [obj/Debug/Tut 12 Scene Lighting/Lights.o] Error 1
    make: *** [Tut 12 Scene Lighting] Error 2

One more question. Why the C headers? Surely you realise that these tutorials are visited by many who asprite to learn c++ and opengl all at once. The mixture of languages is pretty confusing.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru
    spits the following error
    You should probably submit a full bug report on that, rather than just making a post here.

Surely you realise that these tutorials are visited by many who asprite to learn c++ and opengl all at once.
    If you try to learn C++ and OpenGL "all at once", you won't learn either one very well. That's why I told people up front not to do that. And I quote: "You are expected to be able to read C and reasonable C++ code. If “Hello, world!” is the extent of your C/C++ knowledge, then perhaps you should write some more substantial code before proceeding with trying to render images. 3D graphics rendering is simply not a beginner programming task; this is just as true for traditional graphics learning as for modern graphics learning."

The mixture of languages is pretty confusing.
    The mixture of languages is pretty standard. C++ contains much of C and is language-compatible with it. OpenGL is usually defined in terms of C, so that's how it gets used.