Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Thread: bindless graphics + glMapBufferRange

Junior Member Regular Contributor

bindless graphics + glMapBufferRange

I'm sure the answer is in the details of the spec, but I'm still not 100% sure of this after reading through them.

What is the behavior for Nvidia's bindless graphics when used with glMapBufferRange and the INVALIDATE_BUFFER_BIT.

I assume if the buffer is currently in use, INVALIDATE_BUFFER_BIT will cause a new buffer to be allocated and the old one to become owned by the driver (And freed once it's finished with it). However shouldn't this make the buffer non-resident, like a call to BufferData()? If I'm caching the residency state of the buffer, do I check to see if the GPU_ADDRESS of the buffer changed after a call to MapBufferRange, to know if I'm not working with a new memory area (which is not yet resident)?

If I'm using INVALIDATE_BUFFER_BIT, do I need to worry about any synchronization issues to do with mapping the buffer while it's in used by bindless rendering? The INVALIDATE_BUFFER_BIT seems to implies it shouldn't, but the spec doesn't specifically talk about this case.

Thoughts?

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: bindless graphics + glMapBufferRange

What is the behavior for Nvidia's bindless graphics when used with glMapBufferRange and the INVALIDATE_BUFFER_BIT.
    It's not explicitly stated. However, it does say, "A buffer is also made non-resident implicitly as a result of being respecified via BufferData or being deleted." Invalidation can effectively be considered the equivalent of calling glBufferData. So I wouldn't expect the GPU address to be valid anymore.

Though there's an easy way to test. Create a buffer object, make it resident, then map it with INVALIDATE, then check to see if it's still resident with `IsBufferResidentNV`.

In general though, I would suggest making the buffer non-resident explicitly before mapping with invalidate. Or mapping at all, considering the synchronization caveats that come up with resident buffer mapping.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru Dark Photon's Avatar

Do the test, but from my experience I can tell you that invalidating a buffer doesn't make it nonresident. For streaming VBO uploads, I make it resident once and then use it (fill, orphan, fill, orphan, ...)

Buffer residency for a buffer object (AFAIK) refers to the main buffer behind the buffer object that'll actually be used by the GPU for rendering, not the app-side buffer copies used for transfer that you're rotating among by orphaning.

Makes sense as the whole reason you're making the buffer resident is to get a GPU address so you can point the GPU directly to that main buffer.

However, I'm not a driver dev so I can't tell you for sure.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

The buffer doesn't become non-resident after an invalidate map. However the GPU_ADDRESS I get isn't changing either, which maybe is correct?

I will say that the performance increase I'm getting is pretty significant. 2x-3x in the test cases I've tried so far.