OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA releases OpenGL 4.2 drivers

Member Regular Contributor

Re: NVIDIA releases OpenGL 4.2 drivers

@Piers Daniell

I found the problem with my example. The main problem with the timing is, that per default the nvidia driver enables threading optimizations. This defers the execution of some calls. In my example the GenerateMipmap call takes very long for the volume textures and it seems it is deferred until the next TexStorage call. After disabling the threading optimizations GenerateMipmap shows the expected longer execution times. I think i can work around this by building the mipmaps myself in a real world application (this beeing only a test).

Then again THANKS Piers for the great efforts bringing us beta drivers after fixing issues. I think this is something that nvidia should keep up, always having some OpenGL developer drivers available after some serious fixes or additions of new features.

Edit: Any news on the planned availability of GL_ARB_cl_event and cl_khr_gl_event extensions?

Thanks
    -chris

Intern Contributor

The first beta from the new r285 family of driver has just been posted to nvidia.com as version 285.27. Note that this specific driver does not contain the gl_PerVertex fix, atomic counter performance or glTexStorage performance fix that is in 280.47. So if you need these fixes, please stay with 280.47. The next r285 driver will contain all these fixes. Otherwise the new 285.27 driver has all the OpenGL 4.2 goodness that 280.36 has.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by robotech_er
    @Alfonse Reinheart & @Piers Daniell, thanks.

another weird thing, use imageLoad() do vtf like thing, at first everything works right:

#version 420 compatibility

layout(r32ui) readonly uniform uimage2D tex_height;

void main()
    {
    ivec2 itex_coord = ivec2(gl_Vertex.xz);
    float height = float(imageLoad(tex_height, itex_coord).x);
    vec4 newVertexPos = gl_Vertex * vec4( 100.0, 1.0, 100.0, 1.0) + vec4( 0.0, height, 0.0, 0.0);
    gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * newVertexPos;
    }

then , need another imageLoad operation after the original one:

#version 420 compatibility

layout(r32ui) readonly uniform uimage2D tex_height;
    layout(r32ui) readonly uniform uimage2D tex_offset; //new added image

void main()
    {
    ivec2 itex_coord = ivec2(gl_Vertex.xz);
    float height = float(imageLoad(tex_height, , itex_coord).x);

uint val = imageLoad(tex_offset, itex_coord).x; //the second image access, if comment out, everything works right

vec4 newVertexPos = gl_Vertex * vec4( 100.0, 1.0, 100.0, 1.0) + vec4( 0.0, height, 0.0, 0.0);
    gl_Position = gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * newVertexPos;
    }

and now everything messes up, it seems like the return value of the first imageLoad() is kind of undefined value, but obviously the two imageLoad() operations are totally unrelative. why? thanks.
    i have updated the driver to the latest 280.47.
    i am sure that it is not the driver problem. the same code works alright under another app.

Sincere apologize for the waste of time....

Junior Member Newbie

Hi,

Just want to know whether Nvidia GeForce GT 555M support's the new opengl 4.2 drivers ?

cheers,
    Mahesh Kondraju

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Aleksandar's Avatar

Why don't you try and find out by yourself?

GT 555M is based either on GF108 or on GF106 (only Lenovo Y570p/Y560p uses GF108, but it's the slowest model), so it supports GL4.2 completely. The only problem that might arise is the existence of only desktop drivers for GL4.2. Try to download tweaked drivers from laptopvideo2go, or wait until the regular once become published.

Junior Member Newbie

Hi,

Setting of binding point for UBO through GLSL doesnt work for me. Is it my problem or driver bug? I'm using the core profile and "classic" shader initialization. And my OS is Vista x64

Intern Contributor

Could you post a minimal shader and GL call sequence that shows the problem.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Piers Daniell
    Could you post a minimal shader and GL call sequence that shows the problem.
    Ok. Here is my pseudo code for GL 4.1

There are 2 UBOs, which are declared in shader
    Code :
      layout(std140,row_major) uniform Common {
        float fTime;
        mat4  mProjection;
      };
      layout(std140,row_major) uniform Transformations {
        mat4 mWorldView[1024];
      };
    After linking of shaders i manually specify binding points for my UBOs in GL code
    Code :
    glUniformBlockBinding(m_hGLShaderProgram,glGetUniformBlockIndex(m_hGLShaderProgram,"Common"),0);
    glUniformBlockBinding(m_hGLShaderProgram,glGetUniformBlockIndex(m_hGLShaderProgram,"Transformations"),1);
    But in GL 4.2 there is ability to specify binding points directly in shader. So my shader for GL 4.2 looks like

Code :
      layout(std140,row_major,binding=0) uniform Common {
        float fTime;
        mat4  mProjection;
      };
      layout(std140,row_major,binding=1) uniform Transformations {
        mat4 mWorldView[1024];
      };
    And for me binding through shader doesnt work, i still must specify binding points through GL code

Junior Member Newbie

Excuse me, but what about my problem?!

Ok, i know, my English sucks, i will explain the problem using another words:

I have an OpenGL context with OpenGL 4.2 core profile, i don't use GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects and i can't set
    the uniform block binding index through GLSL using the binding layout qualifier

Version 4.20 binding doesnt work for me
    http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Uniform_Buffer_Object

I am working under Vista x64 and i have 460GTX

Super Moderator Frequent Contributor Groovounet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megaes
    Excuse me, but what about my problem?!

Ok, i know, my English sucks, i will explain the problem using another words:

I have an OpenGL context with OpenGL 4.2 core profile, i don't use GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects and i can't set
    the uniform block binding index through GLSL using the binding layout qualifier

Version 4.20 binding doesnt work for me
    http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Uniform_Buffer_Object

I am working under Vista x64 and i have 460GTX
    Strange, that's something that works for me I believe... you brought me a doubt now. Erm.