Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 4.2 thread

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: Official feedback on OpenGL 4.2 thread

This really hints at using the minor version number for big hardware generation changes and a third number after that for this kind of stuff. And you could use the major version number to change the api and the context creation calls while avoid breaking old software.
    Well, the ARB has been consistent about using the major version for hardware generations since OpenGL 3.0. And they have been consistent about not doing API changes since OpenGL 1.0. So really, there's no point to doing it this way.

This way you won't have a problem when one of the numbers reaches 10 or higher.
    It's just a string. There's no problem because it's only an identifier. Oh, and it's not 4.2.0; it's 4.20. GLSL versions use 2 digits for the minor version. For some reason.

"glDrawElementsInstancedBaseVertexBaseInstance " - Just Wow.

Nice to see that OpenGL is still updated regularly and more and more details are fleshed out to make ones lives easier. But that's basically it - details. I don't see anything that interests me enough to actually read the specification in more detail. I assume that's a good thing, though.

However, I'm disappointed that DSA is still not there yet. It's IMO the most important "feature" for future OpenGL, because writing a good / modern rendering engine with OpenGLs current bind/modify method is just inefficient, awkward and error-prone.

I hope it's in the pipeline and we'll see it soon.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Junior Member Regular Contributor

I wish we could get a "clean" version of the spec - one with all deprecated functionality removed.

Philipp

Member Regular Contributor

Deprecation has been deprecated.

We now have Core and Compatibility profiles. The core spec is here: http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/g...e.20110808.pdf

Member Regular Contributor

I also like the new Spec very much, despite the very obvious missing parts with direct state access and shader includes...

Great Work!
    -chris

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mfort
    Deprecation has been deprecated.

We now have Core and Compatibility profiles. The core spec is here: http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/g...e.20110808.pdf
    Ok, I didn't notice how few deprecated features there are in the spec (I found only line width and some queries).

Philipp

P.S.: Why is COMPRESSED_TEXTURE_FORMATS not included in the list of deprecated features in E2.1, but mentioned as deprecated in L4.2?

Intern Contributor

so Nvidia has an implmentation NOW. AMD will have one soon. Now let's guess on how long it will take Apple to work with both of them to incorporate changes onto their systems.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Ilian Dinev's Avatar

Correction: AMD also have an implementation NOW .

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ilian Dinev
    Correction: AMD also have an implementation NOW .
    thats nice to know. Not good though if you are wanting to try out things on the mac. I wonder if OpenGL ES 2.0 has more functionality(shader) on the iOS side than the desktop drivers.

I wonder if OpenGL ES 2.0 has more functionality(shader) on the iOS side than the desktop drivers.
    No, it doesn't. Even the Mac's 2.1 implementation has access to EXT_gemoetry_shader4.