What do i need to start developing games in opengl

hello every one

i am new in this scop, the scop of game development i want to learn it and start comercial projects but i am confused, i can’t find the truck myself so please help me to find the start point.

i am an average c++ programer, i use vc++ 6 and i want to keep using it for learnning and for building my comercial project with opengl.
i want to start programing for windows xp and maybe also windows 7

what i need to know is the libraries and header files i should update to start (dll, lib, h and any other libraries i will need) and it will be better if you tell me also about the old libraries and about the programs and libraries that are not reliable to build big and safe projects to avoid it.

also any other information i should know but i didn’t asked you about, will be a big help from you even small informations.

thank you very much in advence

#include <windows.h>
#include <gl\gl.h>

link with
opengl32.lib

away you go

I think that you should read this first.

Then, download the latest drivers for your video card. The whole OpenGL functionality is in drivers. The rest important dlls you already have on your system.

Then, go to OpenGL Registry and download glext.h and wglext.h. Now you are armed to start.

If you don’t want to bother with extensions handling, also download appropriate extension handling library, like The OpenGL Extension Wrangler Library .

dukey and Aleksandar i really appreciate your help thank you a lot

actualy i started reading about opengl in nehe’s tutorials that is found in gamedev.net he used gl.h and two additional files, glu.h and glaux.h, in those lessons, i think that the last tow files are outdate and i shouldn’t use it but i would like to know what they are used for and what is the recent substitution for them, is it glext.h and wglext.h.

also i’d like to know if i chose to use GLEW, would it be used alone or glext.h and wglext.h must be used with it in order to work.

also i’d like to know if i chose to use GLEW, would it be used alone or glext.h and wglext.h must be used with it in order to work.

GLEW comes with pretty good documentation.

thank you Alfonse Reinheart, i will see it, and see if i have other questions.

it looks a good start here in this forum.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.