Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3.2 in OSX 10.7

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar

OpenGL 3.2 in OSX 10.7

According to macrumors, OSX 10.7 will have OpenGL 3.2 support, due out sometime this summer. Fingers crossed for a stable, well performing implementation.

Super Moderator Frequent Contributor Groovounet's Avatar

Re: OpenGL 3.2 in OSX 10.7

WHouhouuuuu!

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

It's odd that they would pick 3.2 instead of 3.3, when all 3.2 capable hardware can also support 3.3.

What's going to be interesting is what extensions they also support in addition to 3.2. The differences between 3.2 and 3.3 are many; explicit_attrib_locations alone is a pretty big deal for how you write shaders.

Super Moderator Frequent Contributor Groovounet's Avatar

Apple is writing there own drivers and I guess that's they will have time to finalize until Lion release. I don't think it's a choice.

If they had choice, it would be OpenGL 4.1

Not sure where macrumors is getting its information from but actual user reports don't corroborate their story.

Lion OpenGL Support using NVIDIA 9400M 256MB:
    https://skitch.com/fredericl/rt7mh/o...ensions-viewer

Lion OpenGL Support using NVIDIA 320M:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7755/glview-...L%20Engine.xml

Lion OpenGL Support using GeForce 8800 GT:
    http://twitter.com/opengl/status/40904330320027648

Lion OpenGL Support using Intel X3100:
    http://netkas.org/?p=609#comment-152379

All the above nVidia GPU's support OpenGL 3.3 on Win/Lin.
    And yet clearly they are still stuck with GLSL 1.2 on Lion.

So there doesn't seem to be complete OpenGL 3.2 or 3.1 or 3.0 support in Lion.
    Based on the screenshot in the first URL, it looks like OpenGL support is identical to that in Snow Leopard because that is what I am seeing on my 9400M Snow Leopard Mac.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

I think it's really pathetic. With the stability of Mac drivers they could take over high-end rendering. Although the hardware is capable of doing much more, our engine is going to use a renderer about on a level with Half-Life 2 on OSX. I don't trust OpenGL 2.1 + extensions to write a deferred renderer, especially when I know the Apple engineers are almost certainly not designing their branched version of OpenGL with anything advanced in mind.

If they want Mac to be the creative / artist computer, they should support modern rendering functionality!

Not sure where macrumors is getting its information from but actual user reports don't corroborate their story.
    It's possible that Apple added new functions to the Apple-specific MacOSX OpenGL interface to create GL 3.x contexts. Something like WGL_ARB_context_create.

What makes this unlikely is that 3.2 introduced WGL/GLX_ARB_context_create_profile, which changed the wording of context_create. Basically, it allows you to get compatibility specifications without using context_create.

Now, it is "possible" that Apple is only implementing 3.2 core, in which case you would need something like context_create to get a context. But that seems... unlikely.

Member Regular Contributor malexander's Avatar

My guess is that Apple's GL3.2 support isn't mature enough for inclusion in the developer seeds yet. It's due out in the summer, so they still have a bit of time yet.

Personally, I'd be happy with GLSL > 1.20, texture buffer objects, uniform buffer objects, primitive restart and multisample textures, in addition to the GL3 extensions Apple already has.

With the stability of Mac drivers they could take over high-end rendering.
    Are you being ironic? Because I've had to work around over half a dozen OSX driver bugs in the past year (vs 2 apiece from Nvidia and AMD/ATI). Yes, part of that was due to a deferred renderer codepath

Because I've had to work around over half a dozen OSX driver bugs in the past year (vs 2 apiece from Nvidia and AMD/ATI).
    Really? I've never done MacOSX development, but I always assumed that their OpenGL drivers were pretty stable. I'm curious to know what you had to work around.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Are you being ironic? Because I've had to work around over half a dozen OSX driver bugs in the past year (vs 2 apiece from Nvidia and AMD/ATI). Yes, part of that was due to a deferred renderer codepat
    Did their drivers alter behavior at all during that entire time? I didn't say they were compliant. I said they were stable.