own context, and each thread actively sending commands to its
    context, what is the execution order of these commands across
    contexts:

• Do all of the commands in a context execute, then the GPU moves
      to the next context?

• Is some sort of time-slicing done between contexts? For example,
      if we have 2 contexts, each with 200 built-up commands, does the
      GPU run 20 commands from context 1, then 20 commands from context
      2, then 20 more commands from context 1, etc?

2. If I have an application with 48 threads, each of which wants to
    communicate with OpenGL, should I:

• Have 48 GL contexts?

• Have 2 contexts? One for the main GUI thread, and another for
      computation. In this second thread, it would be up to me to
      serialize all OpenGL commands to the context.

• Have a single context? If so, how do I keep the GUI thread
      responsive if I’m performing long running OpenGL GPGPU tasks in
      the same thread?

3. If my application has 16 contexts, and the GPU is currently
    processing a single command in the current context that takes 60
    seconds to complete, will the GPU wait until the long running
    command completes before switching to another context, or will the
    GPU recognize that the command is taking a long time, pause the
    command, and switch to another context in a effort to keep the
    system responsive?

4. When using a thread/context pair to load texture data; after a call
    to glTexImage, will the texture data be immediately available to
    other shared contexts? If not, should I use ARB_sync or some other
    method for synchronization? If I use PBO’s to upload the texture,
    does the answer to this question change?

5. If I create a shader in a thread/context pair, is it immediately
    available in other shared contexts?

6. If I upload a uniform to a shader, is it immediately available in
    other shared contexts?

7. Are shader uniforms and texture state (such as a texture’s wrap
    mode) shared across contexts if the contexts are shared?

8. Is it possible to cancel the rendering requests for a context.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

what is the execution order of these commands across
contexts:

There isn’t one. It is up to you to synchronize all of your access to OpenGL. Or, to put it another way, OpenGL makes no multithreading guarantees whatsoever. None of the functions are guaranteed to be re-entrant with themselves or any other OpenGL function. They may be, but OpenGL makes no guarantee of this.

There are some re-entrant things that are generally considered “safe”, such as changing the state of objects that are not actively being used by other threads. But currently, OpenGL makes no guarantee of any of this.

If I have an application with 48 threads, each of which wants to communicate with OpenGL

I know this is hypothetical, but you really should not do that. Even if you had a 48-core processor, synchronizing access to GL across 48 threads is probably not helpful.

When using a thread/context pair to load texture data; after a call to glTexImage, will the texture data be immediately available to other shared contexts?

What do you mean by “immediately available?” Assuming synchronized access (see previous point), it will be just as “immediately available” as if you called the function from that context. The object is shared between the contexts, and the function in question changes the state of the object.

Are shader uniforms and texture state (such as a texture’s wrap mode) shared across contexts if the contexts are shared?

What would be the point of sharing objects if the contents of those objects are not shared?

Is it possible to cancel the rendering requests for a context.

No. Once you issue a rendering call, it’s done. It may not have completed yet, but it is on the GPU’s todo list.

Do you mean that commands issued for different context may result in errors? Indeed, specs say nothing about such “multithreading safe guaranties”, but AFAIK client-server model makes OpenGL obliged to support multiple clients, doesn’t it?

but AFAIK client-server model makes OpenGL obliged to support multiple clients, doesn’t it?

That doesn’t mean an implementation can serve them both at the same time. Only that it can serve multiple clients.

And of course, there is the question of having shared objects. If two contexts do not share objects, then there is no multithreading issue (since the per-context state is unique to each). The issue is race conditions with regard to the state of objects.

Sorry, I’m confused by all this and don’t understand :). There are race conditions in OpenGL and user have to implement a synchronization to protect inner OpenGL objects?
In spec (4.1 core) I find nothing like “OpenGL commands related to shared object are unsafe”, please point on it if I’m wrong. Also, it says nothing about OpenGL thread unsafeness (except one thread per context rule).
Does all this means that race conditions are only a lack of implementation quality?

In spec (4.1 core) I find nothing like “OpenGL commands related to shared object are unsafe”, please point on it if I’m wrong. Also, it says nothing about OpenGL thread unsafeness (except one thread per context rule).

The lack of that line does not mean that they are safe. Indeed, the lack of any discussion of threading consequences means that the OpenGL spec does not even consider threading consequences. Hence why OpenGL is not thread-safe.

Thread safety is not something you assume to be true unless you are told otherwise. Thread safety is something you must specify, and until it is specified, it must be assumed to not be true.

1 Like

The order of the commands is undefined, the only the order of commands within the same context is guaranteed. (The only exception are Sync-Objects which may be queried from any context in the current share list.)

Also undefined. I’m pretty sure that drivers will not stop running commands, but the latest generation of GPUs can run several programs in parallel, so the large command may not block all other contexts (if you are lucky - again no guarantees).

See Appendix D of the GL Spec:

“If the contents of an object T are changed in a context other than the current context, T must be attached or re-attached to at least one binding point in the current context in order to guarantee that the new contents of T are visible in the current context.”

Of course this has to happen after the state-changing command has been processed by the GL on the other context. The GL function calls usually only fill the command queue, so you’ll have to wait for a Sync object to check that the command has finished and then rebind the texture/buffer object etc. to get the new contents.

See above: it should be available once the relevant commands have been processed and you rebind the object in the current context.

I’m not sure, but I think yes.

no.

Ok, it seems I get your point. OpenGL is OS independent and doesn’t care about thread safety, because it “now” nothing about threads. But it now! Threads and threading related troubles are mentioned in specs many times, but there is nothing about race conditions in OpenGL calls.

So, I must not expect OpenGL operation to be robust in general, with exceptions described in specs?

Finally I find it out, this issue is described explicitly, but in EGL spec, not OpenGL. Strange…

OpenGL is not thread-safe

OpenGL must be thread safe, EGL spec says:

EGL and its client APIs must be threadsafe.

One using shared contexts indeed have to take a care about synchronization.

If a buffer object is bound to more than one
context, then it is up to the programmer to ensure that the contents of the object
are not being changed via one context while another context is using the buffer
object for rendering. The results of changing a buffer object while another context
is using it are undefined.

OpenGL and OpenGL ES makes no attempt to synchronize access to texture
objects. If a texture object is bound to more than one context, then it is up to the
programmer to ensure that the contents of the object are not being changed via one
context while another context is using the texture object for rendering. The results
of changing a texture object while another context is using it are undefined.

But still no words about other objects,that may be shared according to OpenGL 4.1 core spec:

Objects that can be shared between contexts include pixel and vertex buffer ob-
jects, program and shader objects, renderbuffer objects, sync objects, and texture
objects (except for the texture objects named zero).

1 Like

OpenGL must be thread safe, EGL spec says:

OpenGL is not a client of EGL. OpenGL ES is, or can be, but OpenGL proper is not.

Also, what does EGL mean by “thread safe”? There are many levels of thread safety.

The most basic form of thread safety is reentrancy. The ability to call into a library from two different threads. This means that, as long as one thread is not affecting something that another thread is currently doing (playing with objects that may be in use by another thread, modifying state affected by another, etc), you can call into the library.

Reentrancy is required if you want to be able to call into the library from other threads at all. Reentrancy allows you the possibility to synchronize access to objects and shared state. But it makes no guarantee about race conditions for accessing objects or shared state.

OpenGL is reentrant. But it has no other forms of thread safety.

Thanks for clarification about reentrancy, but I still don’t understand how can one be sure what objects are actually affected by OpenGL call?

OpenGL is not a client of EGL. OpenGL ES is, or can be, but OpenGL proper is not.

Here is a pair of EGL spec quotes, that let me think that both are clients of EGL:

This document describes EGL, an interface between rendering APIs such as
OpenGL ES or OpenVG (referred to collectively as client APIs ) and an underlying
native platform window system.

Some client APIs , such as OpenGL and OpenVG , also support single buffered
rendering to window surfaces.

EGLBoolean eglBindAPI(EGLenum api);
api must specify one of the supported client APIs , either EGL_OPENGL_API,
EGL_OPENGL_ES_API, or EGL_OPENVG_API.

etc…

but I still don’t understand how can one be sure what objects are actually affected by OpenGL call?

You read the OpenGL specification.

Just about every function in OpenGL does one of two things: affects context state or cause rendering to happen. Objects are defined as part of context state. You modify objects by binding them (thus making them part of the context’s state) and then modifying the state that those objects now represent.

Almost every OpenGL function that does not cause rendering to happen will modify some piece of context state. The OpenGL specification is quite clear on exactly what state is modified by which OpenGL functions. And the specification is likewise very clear on what state each object encapsulates.

So it’s not particularly hard to figure out what functions change what state/objects.

In general, the name of the function will tell you. glTexParameter modifies texture parameter state. glVertexAttribPointer modifies vertex array object state. There are of course some objects that don’t fall under this neatly, but for the most part, it works.

Here is a pair of EGL spec quotes, that let me think that both are clients of EGL:

Until you can create an non-ES OpenGL context with EGL, that’s just words on a page. And even then, they would only apply to OpenGL contexts created with EGL.

Totally agree, even though, nowadays, I think any good library or program should be thread safe, or at least consider threading.
I don’t say GL is not good library… I think it’s just that OpenGL is client-server (client calls from cpu, server execution on gpu), so it sounds (maybe i’m wrong here ?) it’s almost impossible to make OpenGL natively thread safe. No ?

Guess what: PowerVR SGX 545 (to be released) is to be a GL3.x part, this announcement for the drivers to be made was a made a year ago. Additionally, Qt has support for creating GL (not GL ES) contexts via EGL, I’d bet they tested it on something which has that support.

situation looks sad…

1. OpenGL threadsafeness is declared in EGL specs, with exceptions: bounded in two contexts shared textures and VB objects are unsafe to change. Functions that cause changes for those objects are not listed.
  2. OpenGL spec consider threading (threading-related troubles are mentioned many times in spec), but doesn’t declare thread (un)safeness.
  3. Implementations are not threadsafe. Access to shared objects may cause errors, and we only can assume which functions affect state of given shared object.

Should we make a bugzilla report? May we offer at least to declare OpenGL thread unsafeness and list functions/commands/objects that programmer must consider as wanting synchronization.

Implementations are not threadsafe.

Again, what do you mean by “threadsafe”? There are many levels of thread safety. OpenGL provides reentrancy.

And to be honest, I wouldn’t want the overhead of OpenGL providing more thread safety than that. It’s a low-level library; you the user should be handling the synchronization, rather than forcing every OpenGL function to provide sync overhead even if the user doesn’t need it.

and we only can assume which functions affect state of given shared object.

Well, you could assume. Or you can read the OpenGL specification.

If you don’t want to actually find out what functions affect the state of what objects, that’s your problem. But don’t act like that information doesn’t exist.

I don’t wish it too, especially if it may reduce performance (and it probably will). My suggestion in previous post is to declare threadsafety exceptions explicitly and provide in specs information necessary to avoid threading problems.

If you don’t want to actually find out what functions affect the state of what objects, that’s your problem. But don’t act like that information doesn’t exist.

But it doesn’t! Please provide an example of function for which it is documented what objects it may affect. Ideally specs must guarantee that only those objects are affected by it, and there no inner (invisible for client) objects (e.g variables) usage that may result in race trouble.

Well, you could assume. Or you can read the OpenGL specification.

You offer to determine it by function name. That’s what I call “assume”.

But it doesn’t! Please provide an example of function for which it is documented what objects it may affect.

All of them. That’s what the specification does. It specifies behavior.

OpenGL is a state machine. Functions either affect state or use the current state to render. The OpenGL specification defines what state exists, what functions modify what state, and how that state affects rendering.

Name an OpenGL function where it is not documented what state it affects.

Ideally specs must guarantee that only those objects are affected by it, and there no inner (invisible for client) objects (e.g variables) usage that may result in race trouble.

The specification specifies behavior. Even if the state the specification mention does not exactly match the implementation, it is up to the implementation to ensure that any such differences are not exposed to the user.

Therefore, any “invisible for client” variables must not be able to affect the results of any OpenGL functions. If they do, then the implementation has a bug in it.

You offer to determine it by function name. That’s what I call “assume”.

No, I was pointing out that many OpenGL functions use a naming convention that makes it clear what state it affects without having to look at the spec.

But it doesn’t! Please provide an example of function for which it is documented what objects it may affect.

As Alfonse said, all these things are documented in the OpenGL specification. Some of these issues even have dedicated sections or chapters.

My suggestion in previous post is to declare threadsafety exceptions explicitly and provide in specs information necessary to avoid threading problems.

Actually the specification also mentions this information, usually in the form of declaring certain situations to produce undefined results thus indicating the lack of synchronization.

Don’t expect a single function’s description in the SDK pages to contain all the interactions. These are described in the GL spec and were always defined.

Also, usually if some specific thing is not discussed in the spec you could assume that its implementation dependent. OpenGL is a specification that actually defines the requirements of an actual implementation. If a particular functionality/behavior does not have any specific wording in the spec, then it means that the specification allows freedom for the vendors on how they will implement it. Inherently, you cannot assume anything about these kind of things (e.g. thread safety or synchronization).

Sorry, still cant got what you are talking about, maybe all this looks clear only for those who now how implementation organized internally? :slight_smile: Lets took an instance:
Function AttachShader, described in specs as
“To attach a shader object to a program object, use the command
void AttachShader( uint program, uint shader );
The error INVALID_OPERATION is generated if shader is already attached to program.
Shader objects may be attached to program objects before source code has
been loaded into the shader object, or before the shader object has been compiled.
Multiple shader objects of the same type may be attached to a single program
object, and a single shader object may be attached to more than one program object.”
Even know nothing about how OpenGL implementation is organized I can assume that program object state is probably affected, and if its shared I should provide synced access. But what let me think that it must not touch shader object (maybe any counter inside it or something like), or pipeline object this program is binded to, or uniform buffer, this program is linked with? Would it access other state? probably not, but how can I be sure?

Can we assume thread safety of each function is impl-dependent if EGL declare OpenGL thread safe?

Again, what do you mean by “threadsafe”? There are many levels of thread safety. OpenGL provides reentrancy.

Ok, not all threadsafety levels, only reentrancy. How can one determine this if threadsafety is mentioned in specs, and reentrancy doesn’t? If there no way - lets file a bugreport to khronos and suggest them to define this in specs (OpenGL specs)?

PS: apropos, how could multiple shader objects of the same type be attached to a single program object? I see no way to select which one of those will be used for rendering and for uniform binding. Have I miss something?