OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family

Junior Member Newbie

Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family

Hi guys,
    I recently started learning Photoshop CS5 and I am encountered with a problem which is directly related to openGL.
    I have an Acer laptop and it's not so great but it has Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family graphic card (to be more exact: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x3100).
    I know that that's not a great graphic card but after some googling I found that openGL is supported by this graphic card at this link: http://www.intel.com/technology/graphics/gma.htm
    It's actually written that my graphic card supports openGL 2.0
    However, when I open Photoshop and try to for ex rotate a pic it can't be done because it says I don't have openGL.
    I've been googling for 2 days but I can't find the solution.
    Would somebody be so kind as to help with this problem?

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Re: Mobile Intel 965 express chipset family

To find out if it is just Photoshop or a driver issue get this: GPU Caps Viewer, it is a small program that tells what GL version your system claims it has and what extensions.

From there you will know if it is a system or Photoshop issue. For the former, best hope is to google for Intel drivers for your gfx chipset and OS.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

You most likely have a custom OEM driver that doesn't have OpenGL support included. Download and install the latest Intel driver from http://www.intel.com, implement the fix for when you're told that the driver can't be installed (also available on the Intel website) and you'll be good to go.

Junior Member Newbie

Thanks guys.
    I instaled GPU Caps Viewer and it shows that my graphic card supports openGL version 2.0.
    I also checked my graphic driver and it's the latest version. However I downloaded it again and installed but the problem still exists. Mhagan I didn't have the opportunity to implement the fix because I could install the driver.
    I think no other solution but to uninstall this version of Photoshop and install another one.
    I would have three more things guys:
    1. From GPU Caps Viewer I can see that direct X is installed, version 10.0 but under it is written that Phys X is not. May it play any role?
    2. From GPU Caps Viewer I can't start demo for:
    a) HDR + DoF + Radial Blur
    b) HW Geometry Instancing
    c) Soft Shadows
    while for:
    a) Point Sprite Particles
    b) Vertex Displacement Mapping
    c) Cel-Shading
    I can. Does it present my problem?
    3. How could I check if openGL works on my computer, i.e. is there any other program or anything on my computer which must work with openGL but not Photoshop?

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo12
    From GPU Caps Viewer I can see that direct X is installed, version 10.0 but under it is written that Phys X is not. May it play any role?
    It should not. PhysX is an API for physics (for games) that under certain platforms is hardware accelerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo12
    2. From GPU Caps Viewer I can't start demo for:
    a) HDR + DoF + Radial Blur
    b) HW Geometry Instancing
    c) Soft Shadows
    Each of these likely requires features beyond "core" GL2.0 (HDR needs render to float buffers, HW instancing needs instancing calls, not too sure on the soft shadows though). But if GPU caps viewer "sees GL2.0" then you have the Intel drivers "working" as well as possible.

3. How could I check if openGL works on my computer, i.e. is there any other program or anything on my computer which must work with openGL but not Photoshop?
    That GPU caps view reports GL2.0 is a good sign... some simple tests for applications that use GL:
    a) Quake3... there is a "Free" version, openarena. These will test out the fixed function pipeline, circa 1999 or so.
    b) Doom3/Quake4 no free version here, but they can be had for cheap as they are quite old. They use the ARB assembly shader API and Intel lists having that support, so they should work too.

Junior Member Newbie

i have the same chipset graphics on my laptop and i hope you arent running windows 7 lol
    im dual booting windows 7 and windows xp and openGL works in xp but not windows 7
    apparently from my understanding windows 7 only came with directx 11 and nothing else
    and intel has yet to catch up with ati and nvidia in releasing a driver that includes openGL with it
    im actually in between emails with intel support (their support service sucks btw)
    so if you are running windows 7, thats the issue... intel didnt check everything and there is only the one driver that they have put out at the moment that only lets us use our display for windows 7

anyways, with that said....
    if you want something free you can check open GL with you can try alien arena... its another one based off quake arena/open arena

Junior Member Newbie

Ohh thanks mate.
    Your answer means to me a lot.
    I posted this question on 5 forums but no one is clever with this one.
    So you have two OS in your computer.
    Does openGL means a lot in Photoshop CS5 or it's all about zooming and rotating pics?
    Would you please give me the email address of intel and I'm gonna send them a couple of ones?

Junior Member Newbie

yeah ive posted this in just as many forums myself lol
    i just happened by chance to drop in here from a google search
    as far as i know of my knowledge of photoshop, the openGL features are probably just if you want to do 3D art which has been new since CS4 i believe (someone can correct me if im wrong tho) cause it lets you actually move and rotate objects in 3D, but in that aspect its not as advanced as other programs like Maya for example...at least when it comes to 3D work. but photoshop is a good tool for picture creating and editing, at least thats the way i look at it lol
    heres intel's support email:
    SUPPORT.REPLIES@MAILBOX.INTEL.COM
    just keep in mind they are gonna want to make sure you have used your OEM's drivers etc etc... (pretty much giving me the run around atm, but maybe if we both bother them they will do something lol)

Junior Member Newbie

I just got a suggestion.
    Something like this:
    "maybe you can install WinXP in Virtual Box and try to run Photoshop under WinXP!"
    I am at work now but I am gonna try this one in the afternoon.
    I sent an email to intel but I got that that email address is not valid.

Junior Member Newbie

thats weird, thats the exact address ive been replying too
    usually i get a reply back within 2 minutes that says they got my email...
    lemme look and see if the initial email address i contacted is any different...
    and the virtual machine idea is a good one
    though i prefer VMware over virtual box

(actually now that i remember, i emailed them initially directly from their website)
    go to this address:
    http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=chipset
    if live support is up, as it is at the moment im writing this... it will show an option to speak to them directly...
    if they are not online it will send an email