Newbie question - skinning

1. The model that I’m skinning has 15K verices, ~100 bones. I empirically found out that I cannot pass more than ~60 bones in one shader, and when I reduced that number to 24, the performance is better. (Using Quadro FX 540, 128M) What is the explanation for that? How do I determine the maximum/optimum number of matrices to pass?

2. As I break up my model into primitive/vertex sets that only refer to 24 bones, the performance decreases again. ie, for my original test I used a single shader for all 15K vertices (but the animation was incorrect since I could only pass 24 bones). Now I’ve split my model into 7 vertex/primitive sets, and I call the shader 7 times passing in different sets of 24 bones. The performance dropped ~30%. Is this expected?

1. probably because of caching, registers or something, basically your hitting some physical limit that forces you to go at least partially into software mode.

2. not 30%, i can’t tell you where though, but basically 7 vertex/primitive is the same as 7 objects, and normally you have like thousands of them in every scene.
    One might expect a slight drop if you multiply the number of objects by 10 or more (while still having the same triangle count).
    But not 30%.

I can’t do anything more about it other than suggesting that you fidget around with all numbers and see which ones works better

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.