Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3.2 support in new nVidia linux beta driver

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Re: OpenGL 3.2 support in new nVidia linux beta dr

No stable GLSL spec...
    What does that mean?

Junior Member Newbie

The 3.2 spesification supported in this driver might just be a draft. But I wish nVidia published temporary documentation for the new features so developers like us can test it out, and maybe spot weaknesses. It would be nice if developers could start experimenting with the new features.

But I wish nVidia published temporary documentation for the new features so developers like us can test it out, and maybe spot weaknesses.
    It is a beta driver; it isn't mean to be widely distributed to begin with. It was leaked from NVIDIA. Documenting a pre-release driver is not a good idea.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Well starting from GLSL 1.2, then 1.3, and a few months 1.4 and now before we even have a working GL 3.1 drivers out (except for nvidia) 1.5, every version deprecating things in its predecessor.

Maybe for good I dunno.

I wish NVIDIA takes over the OpenGL, and becomes the driving force behind its specification.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

We know that market force dictates control, and we know that we submit our vote with the "long green" ballot.

Anyways, I think the deprecation mechanism is going to work out better than a lot of folks expected, including myself.

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

It needs more than just promoting vendor specific extensions. New core API functionality has to be introduced, such as geometry shading, direct state access, and moving the object/bind mechanism to deprecated stuff.

GPU feedback, better FSAA integration than having to create the context twice or so...

Junior Member Regular Contributor Heiko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glfreak
    GS is still missing.

No stable GLSL spec...
    As we discussed in this topic we have reason to believe that Geometry Shaders will be part of the core spec of OpenGL 3.2. So if that is the case it will not be missing.

Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse Reinheart
    But I wish nVidia published temporary documentation for the new features so developers like us can test it out, and maybe spot weaknesses.
    It is a beta driver; it isn't mean to be widely distributed to begin with. It was leaked from NVIDIA. Documenting a pre-release driver is not a good idea.
    Why isn't it a good idea to release a draft of the new spesification? The driver and the upcoming OpenGL spesification will be more thoroughly tested, and developers will have a chance to send their feedback.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by efikkan
    Why isn't it a good idea to release a draft of the new spesification? The driver and the upcoming OpenGL spesification will be more thoroughly tested, and developers will have a chance to send their feedback.
    Indeed! Test early and test often! Less chance of doing something that your customer doesn't want that way too.

Graphics drivers are not something to be taken lightly. Graphics driver bugs can make your computer unusable. At no time do NVIDIA or ATI want anyone to use beta drivers, drivers that are known to have bugs in them. And they certainly do not want to make these leaked drivers seem official by providing documentation and downloads for them.

Plus, the rules of Khronos seem to prevent releasing information on upcoming specifications outside of official channels.