Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Intern Contributor

Re: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

By clean I mean only tokens and functions of 3.0 and higher. It's a rather annyoing mess to do this by hand... Although I think doing it by ourself is a bad idea - surely there will be an official release - and Khronos timeframe wise we maybe get it 2010.

A nice thing would be a clean enum.spec and gl.spec so everyone can reparse into his preferred language.

Member Regular Contributor

I agree that an official release would be much better, preferrably in an XML format. Unfortunately, it's also a fact that we may have to wait a long time for such a release.

As it happens, I've spent quite a lot of time tidying up the 3.0 and 3.1 .spec files and I've been toying with the idea to a) write a simple XML exporter for the existing specs and b) remove all deprecated functions from the result. I already have a (rather messy) .spec -> C# exporter and it would be relatively easy to modify it to generate C or even C++ headers (with overloaded functions).

If anyone wishes to help, just send a PM and we can work this out.
    [The Open Toolkit library: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.1, OpenAL 1.1 for Mono/.Net]

Intern Newbie

How long will we wait for gl3.h ? I have no patience

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

What about a Khronos OpenGL.dll, instead of OpenGL32.dll that comes with windows? This should support 3.1 and provides software impl too. This DLL can have more inside that makes it easier for driver implementers

Quote Originally Posted by glfreak
    What about a Khronos OpenGL.dll, instead of OpenGL32.dll that comes with windows? This should support 3.1 and provides software impl too. This DLL can have more inside that makes it easier for driver implementers
    That would make redistribution harder.

Now you can just compile the program and upload it for users. If they will include opengl.dll, you will have to redistribute it, there will be problems with linking and so.

I really like that you don't have to download (Khronos OpenGLX 11 redist) and pack it with your app.

Those "ARB" and non "ARB" function names are confusing for getprocaddr, but other than that, I like the current approach.

That would make redistribution harder.
    How? The OS can be shipped ready with this dll. Even if this was true, you have to install D3D run-time too beside the drivers and ppl are okay with this!

Member Regular Contributor

from section 4.2.1 from the OpenGL 3.1 spec:
    If a fragment shader writes to gl FragColor, DrawBuffers specifies a set of draw buffers into which the single fragment color defined by gl_FragColor is written. If a fragment shader writes to gl_FragData, or a user-defined varying out variable, DrawBuffers specifies a set of draw buffers into which each of the multiple output colors defined by these variables are separately written. If a fragment shader writes to none of gl_FragColor, gl_FragData, nor any userdefined varying out variables, the values of the fragment colors following shader execution are undefined, and may differ for each fragment color.
    now with this i have a problem. gl_FragColor and gl_FragData are deprecated and removed from OpenGL 3.1 and GLSL 1.40. i understand how this works with a single render target (specify something like 'out vec4 output_color;' and write to it. BUT how do i alias my multiple render targets with my output variables. is it the order in which i define them? if so, then this is weak...

i think this issue needs some work. i do not understand why this binding was removed, gl_FragDepth etc. is still there and for me it makes no sense to remove the binding to the fixed function raster operations that are still there in the hardware without giving us a better way to define where the output goes.

so please could someone explain how this MRT business is supposed to work (or correct me if i am wrong)...

-chris

Intern Newbie

You can use the function

void glBindFragDataLocation( GLuint program, GLuint colorNumber, const char *name );

to define which fragment shader out variable is written into which color buffer.
    I'm not quiet sure about it but I would expect that even in your one-out-var-only example you should call glBindFragDataLocation !

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Yes, you _should_ call it, even in the one-data example, but somewhere the spec mentions, that with only a single out variable that one will write to either the first or all color attachments (not sure about it exactly), but anyway, it would "work".

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Since i never got any "official" feedback on this idea, i'd like to bring it up once again:

http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boa...&Number=251694

Is there the possibility, that we might get such a feature in GLSL 1.5 ? Should not be too difficult to support.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3