Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

Junior Member Newbie

Re: Official feedback on OpenGL 3.1 thread

I don't know why NVIDIA does not support d3d10.1 and really I don't care. I want a modern api that works the same way on the same chips _now_. And OpenGL does not fit my needs any more. That's all.

I really don't like vista (performance-wise), but it has working d3d10 since 2007, and i'm typing now from my laptop with an ati 2600 card, where my d3d10 shaders, my heavy meshes and everything d3d that i throw at it just works (and actually not only works, but it works predicable). This is also true for my desktop that has nvidia.

I don't have the money to buy a workstation gpu (i'd rather spend it on more ram and a bigger cpu for rendering) and i don't want my clients to have to spend a fortune just to run my applications. That's all.
    Let's hope intel with it's larrabee will not behave the same toward their customers, because the two major vendors seem to me that they will not change their politics any time soon, unless someone else shakes the waters in the gpu area. Until then, bye-bye OpenGL. It was good fun while it lasted.

Intern Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by delighter
    I want a modern api that works the same way on the same chips _now_. And OpenGL does not fit my needs any more. That's all.
    Fine. Just only one question. Why did you use OpenGL early ? What kind of reason ?

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor

Dead end OpenGL Now we can focus on one API.

Super Moderator Frequent Contributor Groovounet's Avatar

Sorry to say that but this sound like free complaints, no idea bring here, no enough critique.

Yes, OpenGL 3.1 is not perfect but the Khronos Group is working well in the good direction, evolution need time but what's going on is good, the Khronos is aware of the issues and is working on it.

Intern Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by glfreak
    Dead end OpenGL Now we can focus on one API.
    Fine. Just only one question. How long will you wait for D3D10 on *nix ? month, year, decade .. or never ?
    Do you understand me ?

And how many commercial games or CAD software ppl support Linux?

If portability is the argument point then I would say it's not a strong point unless the other OS's have at least 50% of commercial market share.

For god sake there's only one platform, MS Windows whatever version.

Junior Member Newbie

For god sake there's only one platform, MS Windows whatever version.
    There's this company called Apple that makes computers and phones that don't use one of Microsoft's operating systems. Maybe you've heard of them? There's also a free operating system going around that's pretty popular for servers and compute clusters.

Sarcasm aside, as long as Microsoft doesn't license DirectX to other software vendors or releases DirectX as an open specification, there will be a place for OpenGL. So what we should really focus on here is improving OpenGL and OpenGL implementations as much as possible, not posting more "Switching to DX!" or "There's only Windows in the world!" posts.

With that in mind, I'm pretty happy with the OpenGL 3.1 specification. It has some really good additions (UBOs and instancing for example) and is significantly smaller than previous versions, which makes it easier to implement correctly and easier to understand and use.

Just my opinion, of course...

Intern Newbie

And how many commercial games or CAD software ppl support Linux?
    Look for past... Was OpenGL best API for games 5-10 years ago ?
    I think not. Dont you know - DX is the best choise for games as well as OpenGL for Graphics

Junior Member Newbie

Stop whining and start coding. I'm also disappointed that OpenGL isn't the superb DX10-inspired design that was first proposed, but it's not absolutely terrible and is still a usable API, despite its MANY warts and pitfalls.

I've had to use Cg to compile ARB shaders instead of GLSL due to some extremely moronic design decisions on part of whoever designed GLSL, but it nevertheless works, even if it's not ideal. This is what we have to live with and it's moving in the right direction. GL3.1 almost makes GLSL possible to use for practical work, maybe it will be usable in 3.2?

I'm not crying that OpenGL is bad and we should switch...I proposed reasonable solution to make of GL a real standard and keep it moving on the right direction. Spec is not enough, any one can come up with amazing ideas and write the ideal spec. It's how it's implemented and modularized.