OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 today

Member Regular Contributor

Re: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 tod

Quote Originally Posted by pudman
    The only "must" they have in their future is Starcraft II.
    When did Blizzard say SC2 would be GL3.0? I would think that it would be too risky to develop for an API that won't even have any official drivers out from anyone for months, much less drivers from all major players.
    There's no such statement. Korval has mis-spoken here.

Quote Originally Posted by Korval
    When did Blizzard say SC2 would be GL3.0?
    When ATi announced GL 3.0 support.
    Korval, this isn't accurate, though I would be curious where you saw this stated.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Korval, this isn't accurate, though I would be curious where you saw this stated.
    I didn't see it stated; I'm making a (to my mind, quite reasonable) assumption based on the available data. To whit:

1: ATi announces GL 3.0 support in Q1 next year.
    2: ATi and Blizzard announce some vague cooperation with regard to Blizzard's games.
    3: SC2's earliest (reasonable) release date would be sometime Q1 of next year.

I mean, I don't see it as much of a stretch to say that SC2 will provide GL 3.0 support. I mean, I could be wrong (you'd know better than I), but all the available facts suggest it.

Intern Newbie

*_redist is the redistributable files you can distribute with your DX application. It is not the SDK.

You have to download DXSDK_Aug08.exe.
    Orhun Birsoy

I didn't see it stated; I'm making a (to my mind, quite reasonable) assumption based on the available data. To whit:

2: ATi and Blizzard announce some vague cooperation with regard to Blizzard's games.

I mean, I don't see it as much of a stretch to say that SC2 will provide GL 3.0 support. I mean, I could be wrong (you'd know better than I), but all the available facts suggest it.
    I think this is a fine post, it makes it clear that you are only attempting to "connect the dots" with casual speculation. That's very different from "this was stated".

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor Mars_999's Avatar

IMO SC2 will not need GL3.0, why Blizzard doesn't make their games run on current top of the line hardware, as GL3 would need. I can see GL2.0 though!

Blizzards games are fun, and have really great storylines, along with the Best CG cut scenes, NOBODY does cut scenes like BLizzard and that is one reason I buy them, just to see them. Hell Diablo2 when Tyrael fights with Diablo's brothers is just badass. Not including all the SC, Warcraft movies. I would like to see GL3.0 features in SC2, but in reality there isn't a huge need for it this time around. Now SC3, I would expect it.

For example, FBO support for binding framebuffers of different formats and bit depths.
    1: That should have been in FBO since day 1 (or at least not making it an incompleteness, so implementations could do it themselves). It was literally the first thing people said after reading the EXT_FBO spec. So the ARB was just being stupid then.
    For the record, you've been able to do this with NV hardware for some time with a NVX extension.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bobvodka
    For the record, you've been able to do this with NV hardware for some time with a NVX extension.
    I wasn't aware of that. Which NV_ extension?

Ah, my bad, it was infact GL_EXTX_framebuffer_mixed_formats; technically an experimental extension but it allowed the functionality to work on my 8800GT card in Vista.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

This Siggraph presentation from Blizzard states :
    For Starcraft II, we wanted to maximize compatibility with less capable systems to ensure hassle-free game play for as broad a player base as possible. Yet we also wanted to utilize the full potential of any available hardware to ensure the games looks were competitive. This meant supporting a wide range of hardware, from ATI RadeonTM 9800/NVIDIA GeForceTM FXs to the ATI RadeonTM HD 4800s and NVIDIA GeForceTM G200s, targeting maximum utilization on each different GPU platform.
    This range of hardware support clearly matches the targeted GL 3.0 capable platforms. That's even more evidence to Korval's deduction...