OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 today

Junior Member Newbie

Re: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 today

Quote Originally Posted by knackered
    I swear to god, this would be the ideal time for nvidia to release their own rendering API, based on the promised object model (call it nvgl). I would start using it immediately. They did it with Cg, now do it with the actual API with Cg as its shader language.
    Yeah that would be awesome. If they did I hope they release a C++ version of it. Because OpenGL needs a real C++ wrapper

Why didn't they just move the stuff they promised us in OpenGL 3.0 into a seperate dll/lib while stil keeping the other junk for those stupid CAD Developers

Member Regular Contributor

Is bugzilla going to have OpenGL 3.0 as an option to submit errors for soon?
    In Table N.1, the specification lists a couple of name changes:

MAX_CLIP_PLANES to MAX_CLIP_DISTANCES
    CLIP_PLANEi to CLIP_DISTANCEi

However, these haven't been changed in the document, and surely these are separate things anyway, and need updated documentation?

Also, Appendix O: ARB Extensions doesn't include the new extensions listed in registry.

Intern Newbie

And so OpenGL dies a slow death afterall.

Junior Member Newbie

Yes, OpenGL dies, and this is ARB's mistake!
    That's mean I need D3D for future?
    Doh! Thst's why Karmak look at D3D...

Junior Member Newbie

Aye.

So after all OpenGL will became the API for the uber (lazy)cool professional CAD developers while DirectX becomes game developer's (only)choice.

In the end the ARB struck a big blow to the other than windows development (as said before, the mac/linux dude suffers the most)

The good thing is that I've started some time ago to port my rendering system to d3d and I haven't wasted the time spent developing it.

Honestly I wish it was wasted and OpenGL 3.0 delivered...

mmm.... is it a mistake or the spec says that the whole ALPHA_TEST thinggie is deprecated? :/... what's the alternative?
    Virtual Reality: Insideo

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    mmm.... is it a mistake or the spec says that the whole ALPHA_TEST thinggie is deprecated? :/... what's the alternative?
    The alternative is killing fragments in the fragment shader.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

"discard" in the fragment-shader. Or discard OpenGL altogether.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Intern Newbie

DX10/11 are looking mighty attractive right about now, as soon as I get a vista machine its goodbye OGL. The OGL API needed a complete rewrite and it did not happen, and no amount of extensions is going to fix that.

Member Regular Contributor CrazyButcher's Avatar

Re: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 tod

I second the suggestion of getting a ogl-spec without all the deprecated stuff. Surely it looks really bad überbloated, the way it is now. Completely against the "cleanup" mentality.

And eventhough the new objectmodel isnt there, which does feel like a punch for sure, after all the previous discussion around it, you could at least try to present the "future" better. Atm it looks really like the community was completely ignored. Even with the new obj missing, things could have been presented a bit nicer and cleaner, instead of stepping on everyones shoes, almost seeming purposely. Yes the legacy folks would be scared if only the lean & mean version exists, but you could have always made two pdfs in that year...

Which yields the question, what took so long to decide about "deprecating" stuff and adding a few new extensions, which could have been 2.2 or whatever? Its not like deprecating first, then removing is bad, it surely was the only way with the legacy that gl has. But that list could have been given out a year ago, with GL ES already similar... Really what exactly took so long?

atm it jsut looks so PR-marketing like, just adding "more", handing out a monster document of a giant api, when after all "developers" are the consumers of this product, and not some kid who just installed quad-sli cards and has vista anyway

so please, please get the cleaned up spec out soon.