Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 13 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 today

Junior Member Newbie

Re: The ARB announced OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 tod

@People who are looking for a "new feature only spec" there is a spec that highlights the new parts [in magenta though ( ] and strikes out the deprecated parts.

Now to the subject :
    Well, this certainly proves that Khoronos did not have the capacity to be entrusted with upgrading the OpenGL in the first place.

What was supposed to be the main focus of OpenGL 3.0, was the new form, so every developer having a product for a specific purpose and hardware, would be able to port code to it, and maintain the code much more easily.

But OpenGL 3.0 is utter fail in having an identity and a purpose to serve.
    Is it an all-encompassing standard ? Fail, it needs DX10 class hardware to support it fully.
    Performance that rivals DX ? Fail, it does not really represent the internal hardware and tuning your program to have good performance needs extensive knowledge of the underlying hardware, it probably needs a book of it's own to have a good performance.
    Is it an intermediate standard for something better ? Double Fail:
    1 - From Jan 2008, the new direction should have been announced, asking developers for feedback and help [along with an apology for what you bragged about at OGL BOF 2007 and what you were to deliver], not by doing it like this and leaving OpenGL developers with a very strong feeling of resentment.
    2 - Every new OpenGL standard that is to be half-useful, SHOULD break code compatibility, vendors that are too lazy to update their OGL code should rely on an older version, be it OGL 2.1 + Extensions, be it "Non deprecated OGL 3.0"

Does it really bring something with "Direct Access" extensions : Most probably failure, people should BOTHER to make Direct Access code for it, less developers, less feedback as well as AMD and Intel's reluctance on making competitive OpenGL drivers [reading the first lines, it only mentions nVidia bothering about implementation and contributions as a major GPU vendor]

Does it succeed in being taken seriously ? FAIL, and that probably could have been the only thing that would warranty serious support and enthusiasm from the developer community.

The put it bluntly, the only people who are really happy, are the one's that have tons of existing legacy code, what I want answered by the ARB people here is that they feared to branch the code, and they failed to confront CAD companies, why should I expect anything different in the upcoming year ? How are you going to muster the courage for that ? How am I going to believe that you actually CAN remove deprecated features ??

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kilgard
    OpenGL extension specifications aren't generally contenders for the designation "funniest thing I've seen all day."
    I'm clearly going to have to re-read it again; I must have missed the funny part.
    Then read it again, and put it in the context of someone who assumed we were moving to the object model, rather than someone who knows it was a compromise reached after weeks of meetings with CAD companies.
    Believe me, it's funny.

Junior Member Newbie

Does the ARB know that with the garbage they pulled will literally kill the OpenGL community? Like seriously, every forum, I've been to that does graphics, like GameDev, Here, and others. Alot of people have started learning direct3d now. It sucks that the ARB doesn't give the community what they asked for and wanted. Can't compete with Direct3D anymore, no nothing. They basically just shot off any chance of rivaling Direct3D to bare nothing.

Even if they release the stuff, how many more years are we going to be stuck with stupid 1.x/2.x crap?

Member Regular Contributor

Just as a point I have it on good authority that this change wasn't down to CAD companies. As to what happened inside the ARB to bring about the current situation, well that I don't know, but I can state that it wasn't the CAD guys who caused it.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

I'm really disappointed of the work of the ARB. I was hoping for a clean start with a new API. But hey, OpenGL can still be extended with extensions. We should develop a new extension GL_EXT_teh_real_ogl3 as a community effort

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

well I can honestly believe that. I've had the pleasure of working with the source code of a few big name CAD/engineering apps over the years, and they all had the rendering code quite well abstracted. This is to be expected, because they go back a long way before OpenGL, like SGI's original GL etc.
    The new object model would have simply meant a few new source files put into the makefile, and a smattering of #ifdef's.
    But the ARB needed a scapegoat - and to some extent so do we.
    Having said that, I did read somewhere that AutoCAD still uses selection mode, which suggests GL is heavily embedded in their source.

Member Regular Contributor CrazyButcher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red_dragon
    @People who are looking for a "new feature only spec" there is a spec that highlights the new parts [in magenta though ( ] and strikes out the deprecated parts.
    if you refer to
    http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/g...ithchanges.pdf
    either I am blind, but nothing is is stroke out for me, just the new stuff in magenta.

Junior Member Newbie

The GLSL specs have the strike out, but the GL specs don't.

Intern Contributor

I am completely disappointed.

In 2 years was plenty of time to write a completely new API with docs and examples and everything, considering the amount of ARB peoples involved.

Honestly, is that what you show at siggraph?? It cant be true...

Yeah, OpenGL looks more like dead now. There are loads of reasons to consider that. And yeah, I compare it with DX.

Junior Member Newbie

OpenGL 3.0?
    You mean 2.2, that's more like it. Believe me if they are heading this way with extending the extended extensions, they will be killed by legacy.