Game says I need OpenGL 1.2 or higher...

:\ Ive been trying to get this game to work for a while now and it says

“OpenGL 1.2 or above is required in order to play Secret of the Solstice. Check your OpenGL driver on current system. Game might not work properly, continue?”

So Ive tried hitting continue and it updates but once the update is done it crashes. I figured it might be the openGL thing. well I honestly have no idea what OpenGL is, but I thought if I could download one then maybe the game’ll work…I dont know what to download or where to download it from. Could someone help me please?

OpenGL is what the game uses for rendering. If you can tell use what video hardware you have, we can tell you where to get the OpenGL driver for it.

Chances are it is either Nvidia, ATI/AMD, or Intel integrated (ack).

I’m having the same problem. How do I determine my video hardware? I have a SONY VAIO tower PC.

I see I have a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Modely 64 (sony) and have downloaded the update from the NVIDIA site but it keeps telling me that it cannot find the hardware to update. Any ideas?

You’ll need to grab the legacy NVIDIA driver (select ‘Legacy’ from the product type drop-down here.) :slight_smile:

Thank you. I did just that and selected 'Legacy" then the ‘TNT and TNT2’ series for Windows XP. After downloading the installation wizard starts then stops wiht the following message “The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Set up will now exit”. I did disable my virus protection as recommended. Again thank you if you can recommend anything else I might try.

Here is another message I encountered when trying to troubleshoot the hardware - Display Tab 1: Hardware-accelerated Direct3D 9 is not available because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer. Any idea if this could be part of the problem? Thank you

IIRC nvidia TNT2 models only support Direct3D up to version 6.0, definitely not 9.0

Perhaps try some even older drivers:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_44.03.html
or
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23.html

benoli, your hardware is heavily outdated. Don’t be surprised if you have problems with it… My advice: upgrade your computer.

i have the same problem with my laptop…

it is a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3315 running XP…i try and open the game and it says the “Make sure your display device supports OpenGL 1.2”…

i just need to know if there is any way i can make this work…haven’t found anything so far…

my latptop is using the Mobile Intel 915GM/Intel740

any help would be greatly appreciated

@Brushwagg: Try installing the drivers from this page.

Hm~ I have the same problem, but I’m not quite sure what to do. o_O
Not even sure what drivers to say. The SoS did tell me to send them my dxdiag info and I did.

System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: P4X400-8235
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.20GHz, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM

im having the same problem too.

i have an intel driver but when i go to download pages, i get all these different links and i dont know which i need. please reply

hello I need help, I have a card nvidia riva TNT2 model 64/64 pro and when I try to play call of duty 1 I get the following error:
configure.csv: using configuration 1200 cpu MHz 512 sys MB 32 vid MB
execing configure.cfg
cl_language will be changed upon restarting.
fs_basepath is write protected.
fs_homepath is write protected.
WARNING: No language string information available for english
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
…detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Measured CPU speed is 1.60 GHz
System memory is 512 MB (capped at 1 GB)
Video card memory is 32 MB
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) supported
and
video card cannot set mode 640x480 because GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is only 128

my pc: pentium 4 1.6GHz, 512 RAM, WIN XP

hello I need help, I have a card nvidia riva TNT2 model 64/64 pro and when I try to play call of duty 1 I get the following error:
configure.csv: using configuration 1200 cpu MHz 512 sys MB 32 vid MB
execing configure.cfg
cl_language will be changed upon restarting.
fs_basepath is write protected.
fs_homepath is write protected.
WARNING: No language string information available for english
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
…detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium III
Measured CPU speed is 1.60 GHz
System memory is 512 MB (capped at 1 GB)
Video card memory is 32 MB
Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE) supported
and
video card cannot set mode 640x480 because GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE is only 128

my pc: pentium 4 1.6GHz, 512 RAM, WIN XP

Stephen: the TNT2 is ANCIENT. I have no idea how old CoD1 is, but read the error message the game gave you: your hardware only supports texture sizes up to 128x128. The game is probably trying to render to a texture for post-processing effects and the like, but since 128x128 is smaller than 640x480 it won’t work.

Graphics hardware made sometime this century (the TNT2 is from the 90s IIRC) usually supports texture sizes anywhere from 1024x1024 to 4096x4096.

The solution is to upgrade your computer.