Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 99 of 173 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

From MY POINT OF VIEW I need a CUDA/OpenGL combination. I need an openGPU API. I want SSE + GPU math to be equivalnet. I want to use the GPU to augment the CPU. And I want it to be cross platform.
    Maybe we should approach this from a different direction...

What features in OpenGL do you use? You say you don't care about 3D, just 2D + pixel processing. So what's preventing you from straight CUDA? Possibly in the future this new "OpenCL" this will be exactly what you need.

It's just that no API can deliver it. Hence my suggestions for a future OpenGL which can facilitate this.
    Are you just suggesting OpenGL be that API simply because you're familiar with it? How about, instead of your wish of GL3.0 included what features you require, you hope for OpenCL to be your Everything?

This is a silly discussion.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro dletozeun's Avatar

No - I really don't confuse hardware with API. I think you confuse API with functionality. We've now reached a point where API's SHOULD access all current hardware. But they don't - not even close.
    Please stop drinking. ^^

Do we have a single API to access all the current CPUs hardware? No. Why would it be different on GPUs?

Do we have a single API to access all the current CPUs hardware?
    Assembly language.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro dletozeun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pudman
    Assembly language.
    This is not an API and it depends on hardware.

Assembly is an API, just a low level one. And of course it depends on hardware. You said there wasn't an API that accessed all current CPU hardware and assembly can do that. It's (kinda) cross platform if you're coding x86 hardware too!

I assumed you were talking about CPU's SSE instuctions and the like.

Member Regular Contributor

No, Assembly is a Language, not an API.
    And it varies between processor families quite significantly, even basic instructions.

C++ is the universal "API". With it, you write code that pretty much everywhere.

no, C++ is a language.

C would be the universal language as everything and it's dog can link to it. (no pro-C bias; I'm mainly a C++ programmer and don't technically know C).

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Well, assembly can be called an "API" in a very basic way. The instructions are not executed directly with most CPUs, but are broken down in more primitive commands. The x86 architecture can be seen as an "API", with new instructions being "extensions". But this is a bit absurd, from my point of view. An API is way more abstract then that.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobvodka
    no, C++ is a language.

C would be the universal language as everything and it's dog can link to it. (no pro-C bias; I'm mainly a C++ programmer and don't technically know C).
    But the problem of C is it being almost too low level and based on a particular sequential programming model. In such language, the compiler looses important informatio that can be used to optimize, as the abstractions are harder to capture. Still, if you look what LVVM guys managed to do... like recognizing of memory access patterns and then rewriting the code to be optimal: for example, their algorithms can regognize linked lists (due to circular references) and optimize them to allocate the memory in sequential pattern (basically an array).