Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 9 of 173 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Intern Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

I would like to know, if we have something in OpenGL 3 that replaces "wglSwapIntervalEXT".

It would be very good to have a simple cross platform solution.

Much appreciated.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

I see there's no mention of binary blobs again. I think you're underestimating their importance. I'd rather wait another month if it means getting binary blobs. I'd also have rather you spent time spec'ing the binary blobs than coming up with this text buffer nonsense to support #include's. I already support includes in my renderer, it's a trivial bit of search&replace - took 20 minutes to implement, and I'm sure that included making a cup of tea.
    Not that I'm not grateful for your OpenGL charity work.
    Knackered

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

ATI/nVidia HAVE advised for AGES not to use alpha-test, if you can prevent it. There are plenty of papers mentioning it.

This is contrary to the times, when there were software-renderers (and the very early HW implementations), because at that times alpha-test was advised to use as often as possible to kill as many fragments as early as possible. Though there were no shaders at that time, of course.

Discard is also advised not to use, of course.

However, so far i have not seen a single paper, that said to prefer discard over alpha-test, if you actually need the functionality. I always got the impression that discard is by far the most evil per-fragment operation.

But if the ARB decides to include alpha-test in GL3, i believe they do have good (enough) reasons. And, as knackered pointed out, there are actually much more important things.

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

I see there's no mention of binary blobs again.
    And... why would they?

They made it clear that such functionality was being considered for the post-3.0/pre-Mt. Evans refresh. It might be nice to hear some confirmation that they intend to go forward with such functionality, but they haven't provided anything more on any of the other post-3.0/pre-Mt. Evans features either.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Humus
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lengyel
    Thank you! That's right, don't let the slackers at a certain company (that shall go unnamed, but we all know who I'm talking about) skimp on FBOs any more because depth/stencil was left out of the original extension spec. I still have to support pbuffers because of them. >-(
    I assume you're talking about ATI, but GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil is supported already. At least it's in my extension list. Haven't tried to use it myself though.
    90% of my customers are still running on Windows XP. The GL_EXT_packed _depth_stencil extension is not supported in the ATI driver (7.10) under Windows XP, so I must fall back to pbuffers.

The extension does show up under Windows Vista, but it did not function correctly for a long time, and I again had to fall back to pbuffers. I just checked, and it does appear to be working correctly under Vista now, but at a 50% performance penalty compared to XP on the same machine.

Will ATI's OGL3 driver support XP?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro sqrt[-1]'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Lengyel
    Will ATI's OGL3 driver support XP?
    You do realize that Humus no longer works for ATI right? (We need to get another OpenGL forum member as a mole for ATI)

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

Quote Originally Posted by glDesktop
    I would like to know, if we have something in OpenGL 3 that replaces "wglSwapIntervalEXT".

It would be very good to have a simple cross platform solution.

Much appreciated.
    I'm not sure if that will ever happen. I don't know about every every OS out there, but each offers different capabilities.
    Even SwapBuffers, probably won't ever be core in GL.
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Senior Member OpenGL Guru knackered's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korval
    And... why would they?
    because they have suddenly become high priority for me, and looking at recent threads, they have for lots of others going the unified shader route.
    ...and it should be a doddle, as it's already in ES.
    Knackered

Intern Contributor

Not only is a "linear search over a permuted range of options" inefficient, it is a broken algorithm. It may well create a format that you cannot use with those images.
    If I understand correctly, you first create a format object and then use that format object to bind to an image object. There is no guarantee that the bind will succeed either (e.g., supported format, insufficient resources). Then I have to delete the format and try one with a lesser demand on the system. Same boat different paddle.

Maybe not, but it would only ever be so in a program like Maya, Max or some other tool where texture formats were controlled specifically by the user. And in that case, you would simply tell the user that the format is not available.
    I don't program for commercial entertainment. Everything I do is pretty much controlled by the demands of my users and I don't have the luxury of telling them that something is not supported. I have to provide an alternative -- period.

You misunderstood the question.

What you said was, "I would only hope that the return is more than just yes/no and actually tells the caller why the format can't be created." That is, if a format object fails creation, you can query the system as to a specific reason why it failed creation..
    Once again, an inefficient algorithm to determine what went wrong after the fact.

Let me try this -- no, unsupported filtering.
    Let me try this -- no, unsupported filtering.
    What about this? -- no, unsupported depth.
    Ok, surely you support this? -- yes!
    Whew! I finally found something you support.

I don't like APIs that prevent me from knowing about specific limitations unless I try to create an object and wait for a failure. I don't create rendering contexts this way, so why should I be expected to do this for images? Even creating a format object doesn't guarantee that a particular size image will successfully bind. And please don't claim that a creation routine is a query routine -- it's not.

I agree with the OP for this sub-thread.

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Overmind
    Note that I don't claim this is the most efficient solution. I claim it's the only solution that's actually working.

Please, tell me a better alternative to query these things, *and* show me that it will never produce false positives or false negatives, on any hardware (current and future).
    So we continue to wait for an inefficient solution.

FWIW, if I know that a particular filtering mode is not supported at all for a particular graphics card, why should I even bother attempting to create a format object with that filtering mode? THAT is a better alternative. A failure for one combination does not provide any insight that another combination will or will not work -- only that that combination has failed. I understand that there can be a huge number of possible combinations but only a relative few supported combinations. If you don't understand the difference between n! and (n-1)!, then you can't possibly understand the problem.

Future proofing has nothing to do with having or not having a decent query system.