Part of the Khronos Group
OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 61 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor Mars_999's Avatar

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

Hold up, XNA isn't a good choice, due to you can't sell the game and make money on it, unless you find a publisher and best of all its limited to DX9 hardware. So no GL3.0/DX10 features. If you are talking LARGEST SALES, then windows isn't it, it's the WHOLE PC industry which is the largest unit, which includes Win32, MacOS, Linux/Unix, and others. Remember GL isn't just for games, but other fields use GL for their graphics.

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Why is everyone so keen on world domination?

I'd be happy with a modest slice of any single pie (as long as it's not the blueberry buckle). I think indie developers would do well to get a foothold on a familiar platform and go from there... get some interest, success, some monetary flux coming in, then think about allocating the time and money porting to other platforms.

Cost benefit analysis for large companies is no doubt a different ball of wax, but for the little guy to worry about making his first commercial venture global seems just a tad ambitious, if not a little silly.

Intern Contributor

Why so much care about Microsoft? Honestly, we talk about OpenGL here, please stop comments like "dx10 have...", "windows have..." and so on.

We should do something more constructive to be able to say "OpenGL3 have ..."

I hope Khronos will handle with care the next OpenGL3 as many of us have many expectations from it.

Instead flaming about OpenGL3 vs DX10, we better try to ask the peoples from Khronos.

And maybe, Khronos and ARB peoples read this thread and figure out all the problems they need to solve.

From my point of view, I will be very happy if I could have some even some alpha builds to play with.

First of all, lets see what OpenGL3 is in reality then start comparing, until then, stop spaming.

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dor00
    Why so much care about Microsoft? Honestly, we talk about OpenGL here, please stop comments like "dx10 have...", "windows have..." and so on.
    It's difficult to ignore MS. They output so much software and technology. They buy out companies quite a lot. Basically, they are a IP collector. They attract a lot of interest from newbies doing some PACMAN with XNA and c# to university grads.
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Advanced Member Frequent Contributor Mars_999's Avatar

Hey V-man, you are correct, you can't ignore MS. They are the largest and have the most influence on what happens.

And as for dor00, what else do you need for constructive talk, GL right now has DX10 features on WinXP if you have Nvidia hardware. Isn't that constructive?

Senior Member OpenGL Pro Zengar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V-man
    It's difficult to ignore MS. They output so much software and technology. They buy out companies quite a lot. Basically, they are a IP collector. They attract a lot of interest from newbies doing some PACMAN with XNA and c# to university grads.
    This is true. XNA is obvoiously the tool of choice for new programmers. I know lots of fellow students who are interested in game programming and start with XNA; because it is easy.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

But I haven't seen a convincing example of a 3D application/game based on C# and XNA... Are there any?

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Hampel
    But I haven't seen a convincing example of a 3D application/game based on C# and XNA... Are there any?
    I am too old school c/c++, I dont give a &*&* about C#. Same as for XNA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_999
    Hey V-man, you are correct, you can't ignore MS. They are the largest and have the most influence on what happens.

And as for dor00, what else do you need for constructive talk, GL right now has DX10 features on WinXP if you have Nvidia hardware. Isn't that constructive?
    Well, is true, one of powers of OpenGL come true extensions.

About MS, one of the reason why DX is so popular is because was updated very often, I think. Windows carry and old opengl.dll.. not updated. At least, imho, with Khronos, peoples will have a trust ( I hope ) that the OpenGL development and improvements continue.

As for wishes from OpenGL3 I really have some, but I dont know where to send my suggestions.

OpenGL is a great API, I hope Khronos will handle with care that.

Junior Member Newbie

You should care about C#. Both it and other managed languages represent the future of software development, with greatly increased productivity at the cost of performance; but hardware is cheap and people are not. There are some very good arguments for (and substantial research into) how JIT'd languages will one day exceed the performance of statically compiled languages by taking advantage of runtime context.

Managed languages are relevant today even without exceptional performance. APIs such as OpenGL allow the programmer to claw back a lot of application performance without substantially reducing development productivity. A discussion of the viability of 3D development in those languages is very much relevant to this forum and to OpenGL 3.0. (Particularly as Microsoft has already done it with Direct3D 10 and XNA.)

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jcornwall
    You should care about C#. Both it and other managed languages represent the future of software development, with greatly increased productivity at the cost of performance; but hardware is cheap and people are not. There are some very good arguments for (and substantial research into) how JIT'd languages will one day exceed the performance of statically compiled languages by taking advantage of runtime context.

Managed languages are relevant today even without exceptional performance. APIs such as OpenGL allow the programmer to claw back a lot of application performance without substantially reducing development productivity. A discussion of the viability of 3D development in those languages is very much relevant to this forum and to OpenGL 3.0. (Particularly as Microsoft has already done it with Direct3D 10 and XNA.)
    You registered on site just to reply to that? Haha... I lol IRL now!

Cut the crap please, go spread your opinions some where else. Try to fool newbies.