OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 59 of 173 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Intern Contributor

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_999
    Where is GL3.0! LOL ok in all seriousness, how many of you are thinking of moving to DX10? Curious to know how bad Khronos is killing off GL developers. My problem is OSX/Linux will never have DX and I can't see Apple, Sony, does Nintendo use GL? allowing DX getting ahead of GL, then there would be a graphics difference. As of now ATI sucks for GL, where Nvidia has opened up much of DX10 features through extensions. Anyway just everyone hold out till Sig08 and see what happens...
    All good and nice, but, the problem is I DONT CARE about directx, dx10, dx11 or whatever you want from Microsoft.

Member Regular Contributor

You probably should care as that's a major driving force behind what we get graphics wise.

At the end of the day what graphics API you use shouldn't be an almost relgious issue it seems to be; use what you need to get the work done. I want to work at a D3D10 level of hardware right now and for that the D3D10 API is cleaner and more widely supported (afaik AMD still don't have the same D3D10 features exposed as NV do).

Once GL3 makes it appearance, based on the previews, it looks to be widely the same as D3D10 entry point and general use wise, as such writing a backend which targets it should be reasonably trival.

End of that day, it's only an API and I just wish people would get over it.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

You're right, it's only an API. And as said by several people, many times before, switching to another API is not the problem. People don't care THAT much about which API they use. The only problem is, that D3D10 is Vista only and many people (including those on this board) don't use Vista, some don't even use Windows, at all.

So in the end, for many people (including me) it is not a decision based on which API we prefer, but for what platform we want to develop.

To reformulate your last statement:
    It's only an API, i just which the ARB would get it done!

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Zip-a-dee-doo-DAH, zip-a-dee-ay
    My, oh my what a wonderful day!
    Plenty of a-PI heading my way
    Zip-a-dee-doo-DAH, zip-a-dee-AY!

Intern Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bobvodka
    You probably should care as that's a major driving force behind what we get graphics wise.

At the end of the day what graphics API you use shouldn't be an almost relgious issue it seems to be; use what you need to get the work done. I want to work at a D3D10 level of hardware right now and for that the D3D10 API is cleaner and more widely supported (afaik AMD still don't have the same D3D10 features exposed as NV do).

Once GL3 makes it appearance, based on the previews, it looks to be widely the same as D3D10 entry point and general use wise, as such writing a backend which targets it should be reasonably trival.

End of that day, it's only an API and I just wish people would get over it.
    Mate, please, understand, in the begining of the day, end of the day, what period of time you want from the "DAY", I DONT CARE about DirectX at ALL. Linux dont have DirectX. Do you understand now? Vista, dx10, all Microsoft can give me even flying cows, if they dont do that native on linux, I DONT CARE. POINT.

You should still care, if only from a features point of view.
    Sure, you aren't using Windows and you'll never use DX10 however when it gets here you'll still be using DX10 features so, unless you want to live in a pit of igorance with regards to features, at least knowing what D3D10 supports is worth while.

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

"at least knowing what D3D10 supports is worth while"

Reminds me of the comment from some ARB guy, when they were talking about how they are designing gl 3.0. He said, he doesn't want to make it "like D3D" and as an argument how serious he was, he stated, that he never even took a look at D3D10.

He meant that in a positive way (not being tied to MS or whatever), but i was surprised, how he could claim that IGNORANCE could ever be positive. I mean, how can i develop a competitive API (in time, haha), if i have never even looked at what others have done. It's not like you get spoiled by it or brainwashed.

Anyway, i assume most ARB guy DID take a look at D3D10, at least by now. Maybe they did 6 months ago and decided, that their current design for OpenGL 3.0 wasn't good enough ;-)

Jan.
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3

Junior Member Regular Contributor CatDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan
    He meant that in a positive way (not being tied to MS or whatever), but i was surprised, how he could claim that IGNORANCE could ever be positive.
    Oh, new innovations need this kind of ignorance. To find new ways it's always the best not to know about the old ones. Danger is that you propably accidentally reinvent the wheel. Solution is to have somebody by your side who knows the old ways very well, but tells you only if you start to stumble on them.

Anyway, I agree that this shouldn't apply to OpenGL 3!

Because another danger when searching for new ways is to get lost without a trace.

CatDog

Well, from my usage thus far and based on the previews for GL3.0 it is VERY close to D3D10.

Not in function names etc, but over all API design wise; immutable objects, views to say how data is used etc.

Given D3D's refreshes it allows it to stay closer to the hardware, so it would make sense than D3D10 operates 'best' for the hardware around now and in the future, as such OGL3.0 is going to have practically the same interface.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

He meant that in a positive way (not being tied to MS or whatever), but i was surprised, how he could claim that IGNORANCE could ever be positive.
    I believe the ignorant ARB guy actually meant that he didn't want to be accused of plagiarism, and felt that he could design a clean, efficient API based on years of developer feedback, implementation experience and familiarity with past, current and future hardware without using another's work to seed his own creative process.