OpenGL.org

The Industry's Foundation for High Performance Graphics

from games to virtual reality, mobile phones to supercomputers

Page 52 of 173 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenGL 3 Updates

Super Moderator OpenGL Guru

Re: OpenGL 3 Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Demirug
    Depends on the NDA. But it is not uncommon that a NDA is part of the NDA itself. In such cases you are not allowed to tell someone that there is an NDA.
    It doesn't make sense. They announced it on many websites. Large companies became aware that it is being developed.
    Articles appeared all over the place.
    It is more likely they are trying to get companies on board but some are against it. For one thing, how will it be exposed under Windows? It requires MS to agree.
    ------------------------------
    Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
    an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
    float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
    glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
    glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
    glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
    glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
    glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
    glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);

Member Regular Contributor

This has all the markings of a cancelled project to me. I hope I am wrong, but hoping for OpenGL 3 feels delusional under these circumstances.

Junior Member Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Roderic (Ingenu)
    They are still actively working on the next OpenGL version.
    Even from this tidbit we can speculate. I think between "canceled project" and my "{stuff}" we may be correct. If there is an OpenGL "3.0" it may be very different from what was described to us earlier. They may have decided to skip 3.0 when they considered the implications that a Mount Evans refactor would entail, given the insider knowledge of the advancement of hardware.

Its NDA status would IMO imply that the next OpenGL version will have revealing characteristics that hardware vendors are not quite ready to announce. Given that nvidia will likely reveal their summer refresh soon ( nvida media day) we may see the NDA lifted soon as well.

If there was conflict behind the decision to refactor 3.0 they might have felt the NDA was necessary to prevent that conflict and the negative public effects it would create from more seriously affecting the process.

This situation reminds me of these friends I knew back in the days, which always had THE most kick-ass 3d engine just around the corner for like 5 years or so. Of course they never got around to releasing more than simple tech demos...

Senior Member OpenGL Pro

Siggraph '08 is but a few short months away now. We're bound to have heard something by then. If not, then we can send in Franky Knuckles and Elbows Malone to negotiate.

Intern Newbie

Info for the Siggraph 2008 OpenGL class has been up for a long time, and I don't think OpenGL 3.0 will be ready for it.

From http://www.siggraph.org/s2008/attendees/classes/11.php

"This class presents an introduction to OpenGL, espouses best practices for performance and compatibility with future versions of the API, and provides a glimpse of OpenGL's future directions."

Member Regular Contributor

Given the involvement of an ARM guy on that page it is logical to assume that the mobile domain is going to feature. Now, given that Bill Licea-Kane and Evan Hart are also 'on board' with this it would also imply desktop stuff.

Reading between the lines a little (and generally making stuff up) I can't help wonder if there has been some kind of speed up with the merging of OpenGL and OpenGL|ES which has been put forward before as something that would happen in the future. Maybe they have made changes to make that merge easier? Maybe there is 'unified' API in the works? Maybe I'm talking out of my arse and I should just get on and plan to use D3D10 for my next project...
    (hey, for all it's "vista only"ness it is at least here, and it's not like you can use DX10 features on AMD hardware without it anyway)

Intern Contributor

when will OpenGL3 be released? Around what date?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikethebike
    when will OpenGL3 be released? Around what date?
    The date is hidden in one of the 21 pages of this thread. Happy searching...

Senior Member OpenGL Guru

Lol... yeah, good luck. If you find the date, feel free to post it "again"
    GLIM - Immediate Mode Emulation for GL3